M1 helmet with two heat stamps

elh1311

Anyone ever seen an M1 with two heat stamps? 

This one has the factory heat stamp of 123A in the usual space. It also has a raised stamp on the right hand side "135 A". 

I'm curious to see what people think about it. I searched the forums and wasn't able to find an answer. Thanks.

20200811_164403.jpg

20200811_164357.jpg

It looks more like a painted over painted unit or laundry number , rack number etc type of a thing commonly seen painted on the insides of helmets

21 minutes ago, sgtdorango said:

It looks more like a painted over painted unit or laundry number , rack number etc type of a thing commonly seen painted on the insides of helmets

Thank you for the response! That's the most plausible answer and I figure that you're correct. The only difference I can see is that the number isn't painted, it has a raised, welded type of texture. 

It most likely serves the same purpose. Again, I appreciate the response. Thank you!

Interesting that it is raised welding, the guy must have been in ordnance/maintenance or motor pool type job to have access to a welder👍🏻.....mike

1 hour ago, sgtdorango said:

Interesting that it is raised welding, the guy must have been in ordnance/maintenance or motor pool type job to have access to a welder👍🏻.....mike

There's always one guy who takes his way more seriously than everyone else!

I had a Schlueter that had two different lot numbers. On in the front, and one in the rear. I had posted about it here some time ago. It has since found a new home

post-209461-0-35801800-1549496051.jpg

I had a Schlueter that had two different lot numbers. On in the front, and one in the rear. I had posted about it here some time ago. It has since found a new home

IMG_20200816_175537.png

Cap Camouflage Pattern I
On 8/16/2020 at 5:56 PM, shadawg said:

Screenshot_2020-08-16-17-55-02.png

I'm having a hard time reading it, but it looks like they are different? Is that the case?

1 hour ago, Cap Camouflage Pattern I said:

I'm having a hard time reading it, but it looks like they are different? Is that the case?

Looks like they are, it’s difficult for me to see as well. Is this the case Shadawg?

5 hours ago, CWG said:

Looks like they are, it’s difficult for me to see as well. Is this the case Shadawg?

Indeed they were. It had 466A to the rear, and 467 A on the front 

Burning Hazard
On 8/16/2020 at 1:09 PM, elh1311 said:

20200811_164403.jpg

To any new collector that may be going through these threads, please don't scrape the paint off to reveal the heat stamp; it doesn't make the helmet more valuable. I see this more and more often on eBay nowadays with both M1 helmets and E-Tools.

Pat

1 hour ago, Burning Hazard said:

To any new collector that may be going through these threads, please don't scrape the paint off to reveal the heat stamp; it doesn't make the helmet more valuable. I see this more and more often on eBay nowadays with both M1 helmets and E-Tools.

Pat

Definitely a bone head move on my part. To be fair though, I wouldn't do that to a more original helmet. This one was in 80's CARC minus a liner or chinstraps and one I had intended to be refurbished for other purposes. But yes, completely agree and a good bit of advice to those of us who are new at this. Thanks, Eric

5 hours ago, shadawg said:

Perhaps the guy at Schlueter decided to have some of grandmas medicine while at work 😂. You truly got a bargain two helmets in one! 😂

Cap Camouflage Pattern I
9 hours ago, shadawg said:

That's extremely strange, my understanding is the lot numbers were used to trace batches of steel for defects. Stamping two different numbers on not just the same lot of steel but on the same blank would at the very least complicate tracing it back, if not make it impossible. 

2 hours ago, Cap Camouflage Pattern I said:

That's extremely strange, my understanding is the lot numbers were used to trace batches of steel for defects. Stamping two different numbers on not just the same lot of steel but on the same blank would at the very least complicate tracing it back, if not make it impossible. 

It is very strange. I have noted a lot of very weird variations in the stamping in Schlueter shells from some of the ones I've owned, but this one takes the cake.