1968 dated ERDL USMC Force Recon jacket on eBay

Tonomachi

With 3 days to go so far there are 20 bids among 4 people.  This looks like a genuine period USMC ERDL camouflage jacket but in my opinion the Force Recon half skull/parachute wing was added and not an original period half wing.  The uniform shows wear yet the half wing is mint.  It usually sit above the left pocket not the right pocket.  I see no stitching whatsoever attaching the half wing above the right pocket so I'm guessing it is glued on.  I love the SVN made metal collar rank insignia with the plastic clutch backs and the stenciling above the right pocket looks convincing but I think this is one of those uniforms where something has been added (half wing) to try and increase its value.  Does anyone have a roster to see if SOLHAN served with a Force Recon Company or Recon Battalion during the Vietnam War?   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vietnam-USMC-Marine-Force-Recon-Skull-Patch-Named-Special-Ops-Jungle-Jacket-68/313181607664?hash=item48eb1416f0:g:AjQAAOSw48tfND9y

ERDL USMC Force Recon (2).jpg

ERDL USMC Force Recon (3).jpg

ERDL USMC Force Recon (5).jpg

ERDL USMC Force Recon (11).jpg

Those are U.S. Army rank pins Sergeant First Class, the Marines of course used different ones, Gunnery Sergeant. Yes I think it was a legit worn coat from the 70s, nice stenciled name, and EGA Transfer as common in the 70s very early 80s, but with the insignia added on, the RECON Wing probably a repro, with the ranks, those seem so far period, but as mentioned, Army.

indio.jpg

My understanding is that the Marines did not stencil the ERDL's in Vietnam, but did so if they wore them stateside. Would it even have been legal for a stateside Marine to wear non-US items on a utility uniform? 

With 3 days to go so far there are 20 bids among 4 people.  This looks like a genuine period USMC ERDL camouflage jacket but in my opinion the Force Recon half skull/parachute wing was added and not an original period half wing.  The uniform shows wear yet the half wing is mint.  It usually sit above the left pocket not the right pocket.  I see no stitching whatsoever attaching the half wing above the right pocket so I'm guessing it is glued on.  I love the SVN made metal collar rank insignia with the plastic clutch backs and the stenciling above the right pocket looks convincing but I think this is one of those uniforms where something has been added (half wing) to try and increase its value.  Does anyone have a roster to see if SOLHAN served with a Force Recon Company or Recon Battalion during the Vietnam War?   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vietnam-USMC-Marine-Force-Recon-Skull-Patch-Named-Special-Ops-Jungle-Jacket-68/313181607664?hash=item48eb1416f0:g:AjQAAOSw48tfND9y

1516811431_ERDLUSMCForceRecon(2).jpg.a66df81c775485acf6a460d61fb4b07d.jpg
368835087_ERDLUSMCForceRecon(3).jpg.8294bb1ba94ec0e4ff9c7f68f80426be.jpg
26039238_ERDLUSMCForceRecon(5).jpg.ced8dd7066e080c50ecf6d399eb6a937.jpg
1398395862_ERDLUSMCForceRecon(11).jpg.1a570daf08ed98f625e839e96718772e.jpg

I had an original one of these along time ago
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, jim46 said:

Good catch on the rank pins, Patches. Definitely NOT USMC.

Well you can tell right away that the RECON patch is what, glued on!