Bullion OSS patch

ocsfollowme

What are your thoughts on this insignia that just ended for $2253?

Came from a collector that is parting out some nice OSS and SF insignia (that you rarely ever see) from WWII. He purchased this back in late 80s or early 90s by auction comments. 

Screen_Shot_2020-08-15_at_12_10.00_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2020-08-15_at_12_10.06_PM.png

Looks Paki: double border on the outside; the corrosion on the bullion, not patina; and that style of yellow thread and paper on the back

Airborne-Hunter

Someone is faking the Chinese OSS patches and doing a remarkable job. Utterly remarkable, nearly impossible to tell. The OSS spearhead has been reproduced for decades. I would exercise the most extreme caution on this piece. It falls outside the realm of what is generally accepted as acceptable and I will leave it at that.

A collector at the last ASMIC convention turned up an interesting OSS bullion piece. Everyone who saw it, including myself, had never seen ANY patch made in such a manner. Of the people who saw it, some liked it and some didn't. None the less, it came out of a collection that had appeared to have been put together in the late 40s or 50s by a kid. Where it fits is not know, but I reference it because it is the only example of that patch AND manufacturing style anyone had ever seen. This is a clandestine unit with few members and I would expect its theater made patches to almost be one off's if existent at all. I am unaware of any documented original bullion spearhead OSS patches. I have seen this version of the OSS spearhead a couple times before. It does not reside in my collection. 

Besides not liking it and agreeing with the  above comments,the patch is lopsided! The only one you should feel comfortable with is the fully embroidered version ala Les Hughes.

I agree with dirk-dig that it is a Pakistani copy as I've been seeing these on and off for a numbers of years now.   It is too bad that someone got taken for $2253.00.   All this does is encourage other unscrupulous dealers to list their copies in hopes of finding someone else with deep pockets who doesn't do their homework before spending this type of money.  I've kept photographs of other bullion OSS SSI copies that people have tried to sell in the past.  The first one is an exact match to the one shown above with a dark paper backing over a white tight weave mesh backing material.

OSS Fakes (5).jpg

OSS Fakes (4).jpg

I felt like reading Airborne Hunter that I was watching and listening to Penn and Teller speaking in code to one of the magicians on their show, did they fool them or did they get busted. 

Here is a variant copy with the purplish paper backing that you encounter with Pakistani copies.  You can just make out the same white tight weave mesh backing material underneath the paper.

OSS Fakes  (2).jpg

OSS Fakes  (1).jpg

Here is another copy that has a dark cloth backing material that may have been made this way or I wouldn't put it past some unscrupulous seller to place an additional cloth backing to cover up the original paper backing.

OSS Fakes (3).JPG

I can’t believe that went for that much. This seller has good and bad, I think.

I agree with Mort. I think Les Hughes makes a good argument against this type of patch.

josesharontraders

Whew I almost plunked down an overbid for this, but fell asleep. Thanks guys for your professional discussion. Saved me a lot.

On 8/22/2020 at 4:46 PM, josesharontraders said:

Whew I almost plunked down an overbid for this, but fell asleep. Thanks guys for your professional discussion. Saved me a lot.

Only buy what you know my friend.....plus I know of a nice AVG banner out there waiting! 😉

J

josesharontraders

Dear Jeff,

what can I say, but nibble on things leas than $5k. Your banner is always on my mind, subject to when one of those folks owing us pay up.  Hehhehe sooner than later.

thanks a lot my friend. Goodnight.

jose