DoD Civilian records?

turko

Sorry, I don't know if this is the right subforum to post this, or even the right forum, period.

My Dad (who died years ago) was a DoD civilian in the early 1980's (and possibly the 1970's).  Are these employment records available for FOIA request anywhere?  We got his records from the National Archives a long time ago but it just had stuff from his military service in the '60s.  There doesn't seem to be an option from the Archives for DoD civilians so I don't know if records are available anywhere else, or if at all.

I basically just want to know where he worked and the dates, and I have some evidence indicating he received at least one DoD medal/award at one point, so I would like to try and verify that, as well.

Thanks

Source:  https://www.archives.gov/personnel-records-center/civilian-non-archival

The National Personnel Records Center's (NPRC) Federal Records Center Program maintains the Official Personnel Folders (OPF) of former Federal civilian employees whose employment ended after 1951.

If the subject of the file is DECEASED, copies of some documents and some information about the deceased may be releasable with proof of the subject's death.

How do I submit a written request for copies of records?

Federal law [5 USC 552a(b)] requires that all requests for records and information be submitted in writing. Each request must be hand signed (in cursive) and dated (within the last year). Please identify the documents or information needed and explain the purpose of your request.

Certain basic information needed to locate civilian personnel records and to answer the request, includes:

full name used during Federal employment,

date of birth,

Social Security Number (if applicable),

name and location of employing Federal agency

beginning and ending dates of Federal service

complete return mailing address and/or authorized return fax number

Written requests (hand signed in cursive and dated) may be mailed or faxed to:

National Personnel Records Center, Annex

1411 Boulder Boulevard

Valmeyer, IL 62295

Fax: 618-935-3014

Please note: NPRC can not email documents due to privacy concerns. We will mail or fax copies of available records as authorized by the requester.

Costs: Generally there is no charge for basic personnel and medical information provided to former Federal civilian employees and authorized representatives from non-archival records. If your request involves a service fee, you will be notified as soon as that determination is made. See Archival Records for information on archival holdings and associated copy fees: archival OPFs are subject to the NARA fee schedule that authorizes the Agency to collect fees from the public for copies of archival records (44 USC 2116c and 44 USC 2307).