Who Re-enforced Jump Jackets Like This?

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

What unit did their re-enforcing like this?

The lower pockets were done in od thick canvas, but the backs of the sleeves were done in matching jacket material.

Interesting to see hash marks sewn to sleeve.

Inside the neck there are what looks like three different numbers, and the name might be Brant or Brand.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Bob

IMG_7693.jpg

IMG_7696.JPG

IMG_7694.JPG

IMG_7697.JPG

IMG_7695.JPG

IMG_7692.JPG

I think the elbow reinforcing material is non standard, at least from my experience. I believe the jacket would have belonged to a member of either the 82nd or 101st. Given the number of overseas stripes, I would say the 82nd is more likely (101st members typically ended the war with no more than four). The way the reinforcing is stitched can also be an indicator of the division.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember in all my days of rag picking you would pick up some stuff that now they would say is wrong.  I saw overseas bars on m43's, m41's, mackinaws,  shirts, you name it.  Also remember seeing ruptured ducks on officer uniforms which was supposedly only for EM's.  When WW2 ended so many people getting out that I really don't think they followed AR regs to the letter.

huntssurplus
8 hours ago, louie said:

I remember in all my days of rag picking you would pick up some stuff that now they would say is wrong.  I saw overseas bars on m43's, m41's, mackinaws,  shirts, you name it.  Also remember seeing ruptured ducks on officer uniforms which was supposedly only for EM's.  When WW2 ended so many people getting out that I really don't think they followed AR regs to the letter.

I've seen similar, albeit not at a rag mill but just out in the open at Flea Markets, Estate Sales, eBay, etc. I would agree with your statement that they didn't follow AR regs to the letter. I'd argue they used them more as a guideline than a strict base to follow. just think about not just the amount of people attempting to get discharged all at once, but the vast array of uniforms, 4 pockets, cut down, custom tailored, ike jackets, ETO jackets, etc. And that is just the traditional "dress" uniforms. some guys probably just preferred wearing the mackinaw or M42 or M43 or whatever opposed to the traditional heavy wool overcoats home and thus put their insignia on that. Not to mention all of the other interesting combination of insignia seen on WW2 Uniforms that doesn't follow the regulations. 

Because of this, I've found myself only using the regulations as a guideline as well when evaluating authenticity on uniforms, especially those of soldiers being discharged at the end of WW2. I have found I can even use the advent of uniforms following regulation much stricter as a way to distinguish uniforms from being in the later early occupation (1947-1949) opposed to earlier in the occupation (1945-1947). Interesting stuff. But suffice to say, WW2 in the end was really an "in-between" period of when there was almost no regulation like seen with WW1 uniforms where you can find no shoulder patches to 3 shoulder patches all down the arm, and all sorts of other things, along with more standard things such as overseas chevrons and discharge chevrons to WW2 where there bow being regulations, but they act more as a guideline opposed to a rule, to then the cold war era where regulation became much more strict and uniform, to today where I'd say regulation is probably at its most strict in US military history.

On 8/30/2020 at 7:06 AM, doyler said:

Im thinking 82nd.

I'm thinking 504th from the 82nd. A jump-jacket with previous elbow reinforcements brought up to "spec" over summer of 1944, when most of the 504th's jumpsuits were reinforced.

• 2 months later...
vintageproductions

Was putting the jacket on a torso display and noticed under the collar was written COLBURN.

Hi,

could be this guy Record: Earl C. Colburn – 32034331. Elisted in Buffalo NY

only found one guy on find agrave: Earlie Clinton Colburn

Birth 13 Jul 1915

Death 4 Oct 1978 

Grave :Mount Ivah Bible Methodist Church Cemetery  North Perry, Perry County, Alabama, USA

45016197_1440438641.jpg.a6ca4d07cb42e635d16f051c9481557f.jpg