USAF Pilot's Uniform with Red Liner ?

redone

Recently a 1960s period USAF Officer's was up for auction on ebay. It had bullion Pilot's wings and Jump wings sewn directly in the jacket along with sewn on ribbons. It had  a Red liner. Does anyone know what that red liner indicates ?

Thanks

1 hour ago, redone said:

Recently a 1960s period USAF Officer's was up for auction on ebay. It had bullion Pilot's wings and Jump wings sewn directly in the jacket along with sewn on ribbons. It had  a Red liner. Does anyone know what that red liner indicates ?

Thanks

A red liner indicates that the tailor took red silk and lined the jacket with it.

In WWII, one of the fighter groups in the ETO decided that anyone who earned ACE status would be able to have their A-2 flight jackets lined in red. This was not a regulation, just a practice. I once got an A-2 from a B-17 pilot that was lined in red. He said he liked the color. I have seen dozens of WWII Ike jackets and officer 4 pocket blouses lined in red. It is really just a personal preference or a situation where that is what the tailor had available.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2020 at 8:56 AM, Allan H. said:

A red liner indicates that the tailor took red silk and lined the jacket with it.

In WWII, one of the fighter groups in the ETO decided that anyone who earned ACE status would be able to have their A-2 flight jackets lined in red. This was not a regulation, just a practice. I once got an A-2 from a B-17 pilot that was lined in red. He said he liked the color. I have seen dozens of WWII Ike jackets and officer 4 pocket blouses lined in red. It is really just a personal preference or a situation where that is what the tailor had available.

Allan

Hi Allan,

Thank you for the response.

Redone

Yeah red is just that, red. In may cases is has nothing to do with being an ACE (as Allan said, even B-17 guys could and would do it). It really is something you have to evaluate on a case by case basis, in short not everyone with red lining was an 'Ace'. The choice of lining in a tailored jacket was definitely a personal preference, sometimes it meant nothing, sometimes it meant something to the guy who paid to have it.

On 8/14/2020 at 10:17 AM, patches said:

Sounds like a great find, when you're able you should add it to this topic.

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/330494-lets-see-some-bluetan-usaf-uniforms-with-bullion-insignia/

Here are some photos. I posted a request in the Recent finds section for help researching this uniform. If anyone here can find anything on G W Towne it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

U1.jpg

U2.jpg

U3.jpg

U4.jpg