• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WW2 Persian Command Insignia Theater made

I agree the 711th DUI is really awesome. Theater made Persian command pins are some of my favorite and come in some interesting varieties. I have two versions of it, one that was painted and one that was carved out of a piece of silver and possibly gold plated. It has been a while since I have seen an enamel one like yours, they don't pop up often.

donation2019.gif

3 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Ray,

I really appreciate the information.

Where do think the 711th and Persian Command pins were made?

Peter

construction is similar to the better made CBI insignia you see 

Check out my eBay page, I sell military insignia and just about anything else I come across

Link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/fitzkeemilitaria/m.html?item=223497878518&hash=item340982fbf6%3Ag%3ASs4AAOSw-llcxhqe&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Please check out my web page as well for more items for sale

https://fitzkeemilitaria.com/

Great DI ! I really like that a lot 

In Memory of Air Corps Technical Sergeant Carl F. Durfee. He died of wounds on 30 December 1944 while serving in the South Pacific. You are not forgotten.

ASMIC member

American Legion member

US Air Force & Air National Guard TAC - MAC

JOHN N. DANIELS ---152nd COMPANY C New York State Infantry--- captured 1864 survivor of Andersonville ---- Great-Great-Great Uncle

Captain Robert L. Hosler, 522nd Fighter/Bomber Sq. 12th Army Air Corp. World War Two P47 Pilot - 1 DFC- 5 Air Medal & 0ne Purple Heart---Uncle

1st Sgt Ann Barry, US Army Air Corp WAC World War Two --ETO --- Aunt

Sgt Willam M. Barry, USMC----Pacific World War Two--Father

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

5 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Thanks Wake, do you think they had them made in India?

Iran is close to India.

It’s certainly possible, I haven’t seen any with any sort of tags. 

Check out my eBay page, I sell military insignia and just about anything else I come across

Link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/fitzkeemilitaria/m.html?item=223497878518&hash=item340982fbf6%3Ag%3ASs4AAOSw-llcxhqe&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Please check out my web page as well for more items for sale

https://fitzkeemilitaria.com/

6 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Thanks Wake, do you think they had them made in India?

Iran is close to India.

Im thinking local made.. lots of local artisans in Persia and more than likely a British influance in the country. You see similar styles of pins on things made in the Middle east in WW2 also. I have a hand made DI in the form of a Persian Gulf Command Patch.Local vet wore it on his overseas cap.Has a similar pin.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

image.png.33ff535cd80953e6dde637d9a0404fb2.png

In Memoriam:
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

image.png.5571d7b7f216271199ebeaf5092193b1.png

In Memoriam:

On 8/14/2020 at 1:11 PM, manayunkman said:

Ray,

I really appreciate the information.

Where do think the 711th and Persian Command pins were made?

Peter

Sorry I missed that you had asked me, but I agree with Doyler and my guess is that the pair came from a middle eastern country with a British connection since they have British style pins. Persia, India/Pakastan, Egypt? It is really anyone's guess unless you had a vet to say where they got it. I included pictures of the two that I have. I thought that the painted one was Egyptian made because it was very similar to another pin I found that had been made in Egypt.

PGC pins.png

donation2019.gif

On 8/14/2020 at 8:24 PM, doyler said:

image.png.33ff535cd80953e6dde637d9a0404fb2.png

Man that’s a first! Can we see the whole uniform?

Looking for any WWII 104th "Timberwolf" Division items.

Including items from the 413th, 414th, and 415th Infantry Regiments 104th Recon Troop, 329th Engineer Battalion, 329th Medical Battalion

385th, 386th, 387th, and 929th Field Artillery Battalions 804th Ordnance Company 104th Quartermaster Company 104th Signal Company

555th Anti-Aircraft Battalion, 750th Tank Battalion 692nd Tank Destroyer Battalion 817th Tank Destroyer Battalion

donation2014.gif

18 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Ray those are some cool DIs.

I would love to see their backs.

I am glad you like them, here are pictures of the backs plus some better up close ones of the two. What does the back on your Persian gulf command look like? is it the same as the 711th Railway?

I had actually misspoke a little earlier it is not the way the front is painted that makes me think the painted pin is Egyptian made but rather it is the structure of the pin on the back. I have seen several rare early painted DUI for air corps squadrons that were made while the units were stationed in Egypt and they have the exact same pin structure which almost resembles the Italian pin back but only has one hook securing the pin. The back of the carved one, which may be my favorite of the two, has a normal British inspired back but lacks the gold color found on the front meaning that the pin was carved from sterling and plaited in some other metal (maybe gold)?

PGC pin 1.1.png

PGC pin 2.1.png

pgc pins2.png

donation2019.gif

That is cool, it looks like my painted DUI might have been made by the same manufacturer, just mine could either be an earlier version or was not finished and painted instead of being enameled. Yours might have also been made in Egypt like mine also, unless the use of that style of pin was more widespread then that country. I will look for the Air Corps DUI that had been made in Egypt that lead me to believe that type of pin construction was Egyptian.

I also looked it up and the 711th was operating in Iran out of a city called Khorramahahr, so maybe that one was made somewhere in what is now Iran?

I love the two DUI tho, overall that is a really great group.

donation2019.gif

I finally came across the Egyptian made AF DI that I was talking about, it was the 57th FG. I added a link to one that FlyingTiger has for sale and if you follow the link you will se that the pinbacks used are very similar to both of our pins. Hope you find it interesting. 

http://www.flyingtigerantiques.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=fta&Product_Code=afib20057fg&Category_Code=03AF

donation2019.gif

It is not a problem hope it was useful, I have found that despite how cool many of them are they are often overlooked in favor of other items such as patches. 

Also I tried DMing you about the group but it said you could not receive messages.

donation2019.gif