help on unit ID on this jeep

R Michael

Hello all i am trying to nail down this fellows unit. I know it is the 11th AB and HQ I have been reading the history of the division and feel pretty comfortable to say the fellow was in the 188th GIR after comparing the photos in my album to the narrative.

anyway this was taken shortly after the occupation of Japan and any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, Mike

post-1387-1232252258.jpg

Johan Willaert

It's the 18th vehicle of Divisional Headquarters of the 11th AB Division

The X in 11AB-X means that the unit mentioned in the third group of the marking (here it's HQ) is attached directly to Division level...

HQ18 indicates the subunit, in this case the Divisional HQ, 18th vehicle

thanks John for the help on deciphering the info on the bumper... Only thing i do know is his last name, Miller so off to find some rosters, etc. thanks again!

Mike

It's the 18th vehicle of Divisional Headquarters of the 11th AB Division

The X in 11AB-X means that the unit mentioned in the third group of the marking (here it's HQ) is attached directly to Division level...

HQ18 indicates the subunit, in this case the Divisional HQ, 18th vehicle

Actually, it's not the 18th vehicle. The "1" indicates the sub-unit within the HQ Co, and the "8" indicates the vehicle within that sub-unit. For example, I was in the 3rd Armd Cavalry Regt in the early 1980s. Each armored cavalry troop had three armored cavalry platoons (1st, 2nd & 3rd). Each platoon had eight vehicles: A Scout Section with 4 M113 series vehicles (e.g., E-21, E-22, E-23, and E-24) and a tank section with 4 M60A1s (e.g., E-26, E-27, E-28, and E-29). The troop also had a mortar section with 3 M106A1 4.2" Mortar Tracks (e.g., E-41, E-42, and E-43), a maintenance section with an M113 (E-80) and an M88A1 ARV (E-88), etc. Unfortunately, figuring out which subelement owned the "1" will not be easy, as this was not standardized in all units, and changed over time. It is fairly likely that the "1" indicates the G-1 (personnel) section of the Division Staff, however.

Johan Willaert

I don't think the regulations for the markings in the 80's were still te same as the ones applied during WW2.

WW2 AR650 doesn't say anything about subunits as you describe them.

While some units may well have used that system, it may not apply to all of them....

It all depends on what the unit in question did.....