60th INF REG 9th INFANTRY DIVISION

muddyboots

I was scrolling around on eBay and was interested because it was a Ohio tag. And after some research I found he was in the 60th Infantry Regiment 9th Infantry Division. His name is in several books and a website dedicated to the 9th Infantry Division through WW2. In the landings on November 8th 1942 where there was a strong point of a lighthouse that had stopped the advancement of the battalion. Company E. 2nd Lieutenant Charles D. Dushane, Corporal Frank L. Czar, Pfc Theodore R. Bratkowitz and an unidentified private Stormed the tower and after a exchange of gunfire the tower was taken and twelve prisoners were marched out. It is said that all four men were awarded the Distinguished Service Cross. I have only confirmed two recipients so far. I have researched others that I know for a fact received medals and haven’t found them on websites dedicated to this so any help would be greatly appreciated. The tag itself looks field made and does have wear and patina and a miss marked number which is a I instead of a 1. Here’s the link to the site. https://www.notorious-ninth.com/2020/04/12/november-8th-1942-when-the-9th-infantry-division-entered-war/

I reached out to the site to see if he had any information to confirm the the distribution of the Cross but he hasn’t replied yet and he did say he is slow due to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

A41E0072-0BA9-49B0-8639-EE057337021B.jpeg

26F663EC-7FE4-444B-A10B-050026824113.jpeg

He got wounded twice in a short period of time.
Full Name: 

Bratkowitz, Theodore R

Race: 

White, includes Mexican

Admission Age: 

Admission Date: 

Jun 1944

Admission Type of Injury: 

Casualty, battle

Military Service Number: 

Enlisted Man

Branch: 

Infantry, General or Unspecified

Length of Service: 

3 Year(s), 0 Month(s)

Injured in Line of Duty: 

In line of duty

Medical Diagnosis: 

FirstLocation: Face: Cheek; CausativeAgent: Artillery Shell, Fragments, Afoot or unspecified

Discharge Type: 

Duty

Discharge Date: 

Jul 1944

Conflict Period: 

World War II

Served for: 

United States of America

Full Name: 

Bratkowitz, Theodore R

Race: 

White, includes Mexican

Admission Age: 

Admission Date: 

Jul 1944

Admission Type of Injury: 

Casualty, battle

Military Service Number: 

Enlisted Man

Branch: 

Infantry, General or Unspecified

Length of Service: 

3 Year(s), 1 Month(s)

Injured in Line of Duty: 

In line of duty

Medical Diagnosis: 

FirstLocation: Spine and Trunk: Clavicle; SecondDiagnosis: [withheld by NARA]; CausativeAgent: Bullet, Machine Gun

Medical Treatment: 

Fracture, compound, closed, treatment of, with splints or casts

Discharge Type: 

Duty

Discharge Date: 

Dec 1944

Conflict Period: 

World War II

Served for: 

United States of America

1 hour ago, WwiiVet said:

Saw it as well only thought the price was a bit too high. Following this looks like its maybe going to get an interesting turn

It would be great if I could order his records but I think the archives are still closed???!