Thoughts on this Purple Heart Engraving?

RDUNE

Hello all,

The medal pictured below (Goad, not the other) recently came out of the woodwork here in Roanoke and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the engraving. It looks very similar to the large machine engraving on the other medal, but it isn't as dark. The dark discoloration on the medal is slightly sticky, as if it has been in a shadow box or something. Perhaps someone tried to clean the adhesive off and it lightened the engraving? Perhaps it is re-issue engraving that darkened because of the adhesive? I just can't decide how I feel about the Goad medal and would appreciate thoughts, observations, opinions, etc.

Thanks 🙂

-Ryan

Goad Comparison.jpg

10 minutes ago, smwinter207 said:

The S N Y D E R is good. Guy was from your location.

Yes, that one I have original paperwork with. I was very happy to add it to my very limited Roanoke medal collection 🙂 I can't make up my mind on the Goad medal though...

I’m not liking Goad one ? The font Seems too large . And looks like they tried to artificially darken engraving ? Just my opinion .

4 minutes ago, scottplen said:

I’m not liking Goad one ? The font Seems too large . And looks like they tried to artificially darken engraving ? Just my opinion .

That G has the 1960's VN PH look. IMO

Compare it to the Swan engraving on page two of this thread: 

I think it might be a good one...just that it looks like someone tried to remove the name. 

Open to other thoughts and I always caveat with a single photo isn't enough to make a final determination...but comparing the letters, it looks really close. 

I like the Snyder medal, I am not a fan of the Goad medal.  The font just looks off. Is there a period after the middle initial?

Kurt

Sorry for the delay in adding photos, here are more shots of the Goad medal. When I looked up the name I became rather suspicious myself. Apparently it wasn't held in high regard by the seller and the value placed on it was nominal. 

20200810_112042.jpg

20200810_112005.jpg

20200810_112112.jpg

2 minutes ago, Dave said:

I don’t know. I’d love to see it in person. 

I'd be happy to send it to you so you can check it out in person 🙂 I don't have high hopes for it being authentic but it doesn't exactly scream fake to me either. I just don't know what to make of it.