Observer wing help

Phantomf4

I have a similar pattern observer wing with the Meyer hallmark, but mine are hollow back.  I posted pics and questions about this style wing awhile back, but didn't get a response.  Hopefully some experts will chime in on these...

There were many companies that made this pattern including NS Meyers, Josten, et al.  Unless they are hallmarked, identifying them to a specific manufacturer is probably going to be all but impossible.  These wings were both sold as observer ratings but many were also used as the base for other ratings, especially the gunner and bombardier -- some of the early flight engineer wings have an applied "E", and those are highly sought after.  Not an uncommon pattern, but still a very nice handsome wing. 

More than likely, this pattern of wing was used prior to WWII in the 30's and were clearly still being made and worn throughout the war.  So a long lived pattern.

5thwingmarty

I will differ a bit with Patrick's answer.  Although the Josten and A.E.Co observers are similar to this pattern, they have distinct differences from it and from each other.  There are some in this pattern where the face of the horizontally lined section is flat.  On my Meyer hallmarked observer and several non-hallmarked examples there is a curving out of this area which can be seen when observed on edge and felt with a finger tip.  

The Meyer wings have the very pronounced second row of feathers on the upper surface that curve out and up in concentric lines to a point approximately 1/2" from the wing tip.  There is also a distinct edge between the shoulder feathers and this second row of feathers.  On the A.E.Co and Josten wings, the second row of feathers stop about 3/4" from the wing tips, and there is a much less distinct feather edge between the shoulder feathers and the second row.  I will try to take some photos to illustrate this tomorrow.

Marty

I should have been more careful in my wording.  I didn't mean to imply that multiple companies made identical patterned observer wings, but that multiple companies made similar pattern observer wings. There are many slight and sublte variations, but I stand by the statement that unless they are hallmarked, I think you will have a hard time IDing them to a specific manufacturer.