OD poncho liner arrived

Concernedfuturedogface

Concernedfuturedogface

Received my poncho liner the other day. Leaving the link to my original post below.

It's in alright shape, but some yahoo pulled all the quilting stitching out of it so all the felt slowly balled up over time. The tag is gone but the stitching remains.

Still perplexes me as to its place in the pattern scheme of early poncho liners. I have visually confirmed it is od, because I know some ERDL liners end up fading to the point of almost looking straight-up green.

Its definitely not the first experimental pattern, as it has rounded edges and a center seam. Any thoughts? Concerns? Gripes? Complaints?

CFD

eb8e604d7a26e6101a2322318f2e8fd0.jpg184e73ab3e703783e763908d7f6d75b3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Concernedfuturedogface

Received my poncho liner the other day. Leaving the link to my original post below.

It's in alright shape, but some yahoo pulled all the quilting stitching out of it so all the felt slowly balled up over time. The tag is gone but the stitching remains.

Still perplexes me as to its place in the pattern scheme of early poncho liners. I have visually confirmed it is od, because I know some ERDL liners end up fading to the point of almost looking straight-up green.
Its definitely not the first experimental pattern, as it has rounded edges and a center seam. Any thoughts? Concerns? Gripes? Complaints?

CFD

eb8e604d7a26e6101a2322318f2e8fd0.jpg&key=73d542f3a1dc78fd9c80ed08682c838486871b7a9e4e31922c8df67985942df9184e73ab3e703783e763908d7f6d75b3.jpg&key=675f434bb33db0809a6051bb0debc7f39af941f80661166db1369285656898b3

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/345721-od-green-poncho-liner/&share_tid=345721&share_fid=54704&share_type=t&link_source=app

It looks like a well worn and used poncho liner.. Just one observation though....I would not automatically assume that someone yanked all the stitching out. I carried and used a poncho liner similar to this one in the field for over 22 years (the same one I might add) as an infantryman and although mine started out new, over the years it also faded and the quilt stitching also came out. After washing it after field use countless times these things like stings and tags tend to fade or eventually fall off, but neither of those issues effected the use of the liner in any way... 

I would use my poncho liner for the obvious while in the field but when returning from a deployment many of us would clean our individual weapons and then wrap them in our poncho liners to keep them clean. Our sniper section would wrap their M21 sniper rifles in their poncho liners as well..We would board the planes with them wrapped, place them in the overhead compartments or under our cargo seats and when we deplaned the weapons were lightly oiled and turned in, then off to the washing machine with the liner and then back in the ruck for the next deployment/field problem.

I still have and use that poncho liner for a table covering,, 37 years later...

Leigh  

Concernedfuturedogface
It looks like a well worn and used poncho liner.. Just one observation though....I would not automatically assume that someone yanked all the stitching out. I carried and used a poncho liner similar to this one in the field for over 22 years (the same one I might add) as an infantryman and although mine started out new, over the years it also faded and the quilt stitching also came out. After washing it after field use countless times these things like stings and tags tend to fade or eventually fall off, but neither of those issues effected the use of the liner in any way... 
I would use my poncho liner for the obvious while in the field but when returning from a deployment many of us would clean our individual weapons and then wrap them in our poncho liners to keep them clean. Our sniper section would wrap their M21 sniper rifles in their poncho liners as well..We would board the planes with them wrapped, place them in the overhead compartments or under our cargo seats and when we deplaned the weapons were lightly oiled and turned in, then off to the washing machine with the liner and then back in the ruck for the next deployment/field problem.

I still have and use that poncho liner for a table covering,, 37 years later...

Leigh  

I sincerely appreciate your input. Poncho liners are, by far, one of my favorite pieces of militaria, simply because in their short time (relatively speaking) in military use, they have captured so much personal history. No matter how old one is, if it is bought used, odds are its been a few places. I personally have two hand-me-downs of my father's that have seen Somalia and Iraq.

I'm debating whether I want to restore this liner and get it re-felted and stitched, or if I want to leave it as the piece of history that it is!

Much thanks

CFD

CFD,

It is a great piece.. These items in many cases were the only "creature comforts" that the Soldiers had on the battlefields.. Sort of like a woobie blanket similar to what Linus from Charlie Brown always carries around.. That sense of security and warmth can be a real morale booster in tough times..

There are some iconic photos of Soldiers in Vietnam wrapped in poncho liners for warmth, and sadly some were wrapped in them after they had been killed...

Best regards

Leigh