High Ebay Tax Percent Rate

Hi Members,  Is anyone getting charged a higher tax rate when they purchase an Ebay item. My state tax is over 2 percent higher than it should be for my

state.   Would appreciate your reply.     

I'd suggest contacting eBay with screenshots of this issue

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I think I had that issue once, I had never noticed it but late last year eBay refunded me 5$ that they had taken by mistake because they were charging more state tax then they should have been. 

donation2019.gif

Not sure myself. I see it, but with so many different tax rates it has got to be a crap shoot. It is a "state" sales tax, but each municipality (city, county, sate) may be slightly different. The address I live in is the county where the tax rate is .0725%. The nearby city is .0775%. 

Basically when I sell something on ebay, I figure my "profit" potential as:

Cost of item = x

ebay fees = .20

NOW - sale tax charged = rule of thumb .0775 or .08 (ebay .2 + tax .08 = .28, round up to .3) 

$10 x 1.3 = $10.30, I do this as a hobby and for pocket $ (so I can buy more stuff 😄),  so I figure for me to break even (time not included - come on we're out there hunting!) I need to get $10.30 to break even on a $10 item. 

A little long winded, but the reality of e-commerce is here. Face it, you got to pay to play. Taxes suck, but they due pay for essential services we take for granted (roads, parks and services - don't bash me, it is what it is).  If you don't want to pay sales tax, then find your own avenue to sell customer direct. Yes, Ebay is it's own monster, but it is the worlds largest garage sale and for the average Joe, it's easy to use.  Who didn't buy their stock in their early days and make a mint. I know I did.  There are others to use; Letgo, Mercari, Facebook market palce, etc. Pluses and minuses,  with each. I call it a "hobby" but overall someone else came up with the idea of this "business".     

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
UK - Op.'s Granby / Sabre / Warden
Canadian - Op. Desert Storm / Op. Friction
French - Daguet / Aconit
Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, South Korea, etc.
Looking for the oddities, including unfinished & flaws
I HAVE EXTRA's!! Will trade as well.

Thank you members< all of you have good advice.  I have tried to contact Ebay to resolve this tax issue by email and by phone without results.

It seems when i make my call all I can get is a automated message and not a real person to communicate with. 

Doesn't E Bay collect the sales tax from the buyer?   They add the tax to the buyers invoice send it to you but pull back the tax funds.  

My understanding is some states actually charge sales tax on the shipping cost.  So in that situation if you just try to figure the tax rate on just the cost of the item only it will show up high because you didn't include tax on the shipping.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Survival is right! A lot of states charge also on the shipping charges! Stupid if you ask me but it was a greedy cash grab anyway by the states! Most likely you aren't account for that!

Please Remember the Following Service Members who have passed on!

Manley S Webb- 1925-2006 US Navy WW2

James W Boutilier - 1921-1983 US Navy Seabees WW2

Russell W Haight - 1876-1953 Spanish American War, Cuban Pacification, Mexican Border War NYNG

Lt Colonel William H Warren 1921-2014 USAF

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.