Today's killer M-41 field jacket find

vintageproductions

Burning Hazard

Pretty neat find. I own an original M-41 in size 46R made by Philmac Sportswear Inc. which has the same style pocket tag as yours.

Pat

Just pull all those little blue tags off of it, black marker "SLAYER" on the back of it and you are good to go!

Seriously awesome find! Big boys back then were few & far between!

vintageproductions
11 hours ago, gwb123 said:

I am assuming this was a rack in your own shop.  

Now it is on one of our racks but yesterday morning it wasn't.

Hey O-

I could get in there. I actually weigh less now than it says on my drivers license! (the cafeteria at the college has been closed...)

I love the cutter tag in the pocket.  I know the A-2s went up to a size 52, did ALL army clothing go that big? (Well not counting jump jackets, i am sure...)

• 1 year later...
On 8/12/2020 at 12:03 PM, Mr.Jerry said:

I love the cutter tag in the pocket.  I know the A-2s went up to a size 52, did ALL army clothing go that big? (Well not counting jump jackets, i am sure...)

No, not all U. S. Army clothing was available in such large sizes, but such basic items as this had to be available in huge sizes to accommodate the diverse body types comprising the U. S. Army for the war effort, though it is very unlikely anyone big enough to need this size would have served in a line infantry unit.  I have data for percentages made for each size and size 48-54 would reflect not even 1 per 1, 000 made and these jackets amounted to about 21 million produced from 1940-43.  

The O. D. Field Jackets went up to size 54, as did the A-2 Flying Jackets, but the O. D. Field Jackets in sizes 48-54 were made exclusively on special order by the Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot (PQD) and not civilian contractors, unlike the A-2.  The tag in the pocket seen with this example is the typical PQD tag found in garments made by the PQD, whereas the tags with full contract details and spec. numbers were for items made by civilian contractors.  There are garments made by the PQD that have no tags at all:  early-production Tanker Jackets are great examples of this, but are not the only garments bereft of tags, and some PQD-made Field Jackets from 1943 also have no tags in the pocket.