USN Submarine Helmsman Chair

Just found this USN Submarine Helmsman Chair. Had to have this one, don’t run across these often. The wood base was included. I will have to work on the stand and fix it up. 

9296C979-CDA4-4026-BF0B-24C67B591FCB.jpeg

1952B0FC-431A-4CE2-A43E-E1C2A982794E.jpeg

7C7D6E3F-A4E8-4121-9020-35E98056B4C5.jpeg

Salvage Sailor

Nice chair Hink,  looks like a post 1980's make - no butt-kit mount on the side.

4 minutes ago, Salvage Sailor said:

Nice chair Hink,  looks like a post 1980's make - no butt-kit mount on the side.

Thanks SS. Never thought about the butt kit. Did they smoke on Nuke Subs? I really don’t know, I was an Airdale on Carriers. I know the ready room chairs had the butt kits. 

Chris

Salvage Sailor

Smoking on subs was allowed unitl 2010 when it was banned.  Smoking on watch was discouraged in the 1980's

USN Butt Kit - these were mounted everywhere aboard ships and submarines on bulkheads and also on the Captain/XO chairs, watchstander chairs, ready room chairs, etc.

USN Butt Kit 001.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Chair in use on a surface vessel -mounted on the bow of a FFG for the forward lookout on Mine Watch

A US Navy sailor scans for mines from the bow of the guided missile frigate USS Nicholas during an Operation Earnest Will convoy mission in June 1988

EarnestWillNicholas.jpg

Great picture. I also found this chair used for many uses on Naval Vessels. 

Here are two supply catalogs for Navy furnishings. 

One has it labeled as a Helm chair and the other is listed as a special purpose chair. 

D2EADF4C-50E6-413D-91D9-6741EFDD4320.jpeg

7F92F78F-F14C-473F-A19A-18136C1F743F.jpeg

Stained the wood base and next I need to apply some polyurethane.

I have also learned these “special purpose” chairs are also used in the Combat Information Centers. So this chair could have been used in numerous locations throughout a Ship or Submarine. 

53A4D3CA-DE35-4C47-99A2-F60D1CEF0098.jpeg