State of the Collection

Nickman983

It's been roughly 3 years since I first started collecting helmets so I figured I'd share an update on where the collection is at. It's grown a lot in the last year and I think I'm overall really happy with not only the pieces in my collection but also how the main portion of the collection is displayed. I've overflowed my shelf space at this point so I'm (hopefully) going to be slowing down a bit and shifting focus to my car for a while, though this isn't the first time I've thought I'd slow down so we'll see what happens.

I've gone ahead and wrote up a little bit of information on some of the more interesting pieces or the ones with a bit of back story. If anyone has any questions or would like to see pictures of a specific helmet I'll be more than happy to share!

First up is the main portion of the collection

helmets_01.jpg

helmets_02.jpg

Here's some info on the main shelf:

1.) Late 50s era USMC Helmet consisting of mid/late WWII helmet, liner, and cover with matching roster/unit numbers painted on each.

2.) WWII Era Cheif Warrant Officer helmet with Hood Rubber liner and matching laundry number stamped on the shell chinstrap and liner webbing.

3.) Early war McCord with 1st pattern General Fibre liner belonging to Emery Herbert Hapworth. Mr Hapworth was a Machinist Mate 1st Class and was assigned to the 140th NCB but never deployed overseas with them due to injuries sustained prioer to the war.

4.) USS Sanfrancisco Helmet with Hawley Liner

5.) Early McCord and Inland liner with matching numbers (19) painted on the side

6.) Late WWII/Korean War helmet with unknown markings painted on each side

7.) Early WWII McCord with early Rayon Westinghouse liner. The helmet and liner are both named to "Lange"

8.) Mid WWII McCord and Westinghouse both named to a "SMITH, G.A."

9.) Relic condition Schlueter FB Shore Party hemlet

10.) Overpainted NCO bar helmet paired with a KW Era NCO liner with 5th infantry division decals on the sides

11.) Camo McCord M1917A1 named to a "Brown"

12.) McCord M1917A1 marked with red Lieutenant bars named to a Robert Price

13.) III Corps M1917 named twice to Carroll Clifford Stander, who served as a Wagoner in the Medical Department, 339th Ambulance Co., 310th Sanitary Train, 85th Division during WWI

helmets_03.jpg.10dfd14aa2b7df960164b001c8d274dd.jpg

14.) Korean War era helmet with Captain bars and Follow me bar done in tape

15.) Post WWII MP helmet with 3 different sets of MP markings over the course of its life

16.) Late WWII double hook McCord with woven canadian two tone net

17.) post WWII Repair Party helmet

18.) Manganeese rim front seam swivel bail Schlueter

helmets_04.jpg.ed0f04564d99ba7be9023375a64f4c43.jpg

Here's the secondary portion of the collection

19.) Early, heavily used Firestone liner with early double wire sweatband, named to a Captain Giddings

20.) Korean war era M1C with rigger made liner named to Sgt. Carlson

21.) Twice named Hood Rubber liner

22.) Near mint condition late WWII Schluter with near mint Capac liner

23.) Post Korean War red painted M1C, possibly a cherry jump helmet

24.) Korean War era 5th infantry division NCO liner. The bar is the exact same size/shape as the other 5th ID NCO liner mentioned earlier, only difference is the placement of the 5th ID decal(s)

helmets_05.jpg.1b1d234c70fc1468ddd07307c1eeb8c6.jpg

Finally, the overflow:

25.) Manganeese rim front seam swivel bail McCord

26.) Korean War era Agressor liner

27.) Korean War era helmet named first to Billy L. Colvert (RA 14363494) and then to Theodore R. Clinkscale (RA 15266720). Mr. Colvert was served as a Private during Korea. Mr. Clinkscale was a Spec/5 in Battery A, 21st Artillery and is listed as passing away on January 29th 1964.

28.) Very clean, early Inland with excellent double wire sweatband used by the California Cadet Corps

29.) Later production St. Clair liner

Fantastic collection!
Well done that’s beyond a ton of work finding those !
I bet you had a really good adventure!!
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the comments gentlemen. I try to have a little bit of everything in my collection and I think for the most part I've accomplished that. Much of the collection has been sourced from what I've been able to find from sellers across the internet, including several of my favorite pieces which came from members on here. The only luck I've had locally was a spray painted fixed bail with no chinstraps and the St. Clair liner. Next spring I'm hoping to kill two birds with one stone and do some road tripping in the new (to me) car to some thrift stores/surplus shops/flea markets in my state in hopes of finding something nice.

1 hour ago, M24 Chaffee said:

You have a great collection! Very impressive for only three years in!

Frank

1 hour ago, 644td said:

Great job, the collection is growing really well with some top self lids.

marty

Thank you! When I get into something I have a bit of tendency to go all in so when the helmet bug bit me it bit pretty hard lol.

2 hours ago, sgtdorango said:

Great collection, i really like that round shelf display👍🏻.....mike

Thanks Mike. I found the round shelf to be a good way to display a lot without taking up too much space. I've actually got 12 helmets/liners on that shelf though two of them can't really be seen since they're in the back. I've got another shelf behind that one which I use mostly for storage. That has some of my reference material as well as my very small collection of web/field gear.

Great collection and well displayed. 

At first I was going to say "the car can wait' but since it's going to be pressed into service to find more lids:  go right ahead 🙂

Rene 

7 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Great collection and well displayed. 

At first I was going to say "the car can wait' but since it's going to be pressed into service to find more lids:  go right ahead 🙂

Rene 

Thank you! I'm overall really happy with how I have things displayed. Just wish I had some more room to display everything a bit more.

The car has been on the back burner for about two years now, so it deserves a bit of attention now that I've finally pulled the trigger on one. I may only be able to fit one or two friends in it but at least it will have more than ample trunk space for whatever I may find while out hunting helmets lol.