WW2 German Propaganda POWs treated well??

Steve Brannan

Very cool leaflet Steve! When my Dad got back from the ETO, he mentioned to me how well the German prisoners were being treated at his base in Texas. 

• 1 year later...

Are u selling this? If not would I be able to have a scanned copy? I’m creating an exhibit at the Lewis Army museum in Washington state. I research German POWs. My email is [email protected]. I would love this for my display! 

Very interesting paper.

What was its purpose and what’s the deal at the bottom about it being worth $10?

Steve Brannan

I think the Purpose of this German propaganda leaflet was to encourage American GIs to surrender because POWs had it made. The $10 comment was to try to make the GIs think it had value. WW2 GIs were souvenir hunters but I sincerely doubt anyone paid $10 for one of these in 1944. The originals do have value now. 

• 3 weeks later...
Steve Brannan

Thanks for posting your copy. I think they are rare. My opinion is that these were German Propaganda leaflets dropped by German aircraft over American units in the Battle of the Bulge and maybe other places to encourage US soldiers to surrender. I doubt if they were very effective. I know the US dropped similar propaganda leaflets over German lines. 

I've got one that says "Eastward Bound" with a skeleton and the path paved with skulls....On the back it talks about "Death in the Vosges (mountains)"....Here's a German book with propaganda leaflets pictured inside....You have to scroll back to the beginning to look at it....Bodes

https://archive.org/details/GermanPropagandaLeaflets/page/n49/mode/2up

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few of the leaflets the Germans dropped on US troops in my POW collection. The Germans created some fairly "cheesy" propaganda targeted to US Soldiers. .

Kurt

I love the note on the first pamphlet about sending it home as a souvenir.  At least they understood that much about the Americans!