Ammo question, please

digi-shots

Can anyone give me some thoughts or opinions on this ammo?

I am thinking of selling some commercial ammo and have some cartridges packed in tan military looking boxes.  Three of the boxes are marked “match”, the other three are not.  Are they all military or military surplus?  The .45 ball m1911 has a TZZ prefix and the box is stamped Israel Military Industries.

Do they have more value as a “military collectable” for display or just use it and shoot it? I know ammo prices right now have gone up and many locations are out of stock.  It’s probably a good time to sell.  

Thanks for looking!

90285BE9-A452-42CB-917F-E593B1ECD73F.jpeg

Interesting ammunition collection!  All are military surplus, and seem to come from someone who appreciated long distance and accurate shooting.  The 9MM and 45 Ball rounds are not hugely collectible as the dates are mid 80s manufacture and somewhat still plentiful, but they are high-quality rounds which will function nicely in your pistols.    

M118 7.62 rounds have been used by competition shooters and some sniper circles for a while and may have collector value there. 

The Black Hills 5.56 are specialty long-range ammo which may interest some collectors as well.  (Navy contracted, probable SEAL Team use).

The 5.56 Mk262 Mod1 are Black Hill manufactured, (Been around since 2003), OTM rounds as well, originally used by snipers, but are well-regarded in the field by the grunts.  You may see some collectors wanting those as well.  (For SBRs and folks wanting more performance out of their weapon of choice)

Put them on an auction site and see what interest there is if you want to sell them as collectibles.  Otherwise, have fun at the range!

Charlie Flick

Hello Linda:

All good ammo.  The TZZ stuff is collectible so I would not shoot any of it.  IMI was the low bidder on that ammo but it is high quality stuff.

The two 5.56 boxes appear to have rectangular strips on the label.  I can't tell from the photo but such strips often indicate an effort to remove Lot Number information.  I don't know why anyone would do so, but I have seen it often enough to know that it happens.  If that is the case here, it substantially and adversely affects the value of that ammo as collectible. 

The rest is all USGI.  The M882 is good stuff and not too tough to find.  The last couple of boxes of that stuff I bought was $25 each but that was last year before ammo prices went nuts.

Hope that helps you.

Regards,

Charlie

Opus and Charlie... thanks so much for your replies.

Opus, great info - thanks!  What indicates that the Black Hills is a Navy contract? Is it the box color... Some Navy contracts have an NX prefix.  Just wondered as it is useful info to have for future identifications.

Charlie, I figured it was all USGI stuff but wasn’t really sure on the IMI boxes. I only have one box of the Lake City 7.62 Match... the others I have multiple boxes and will probably keep one of each and  list the others for sale.  Regular commercial Black Hills 5.56 match is fairly pricey.. not sure what to value these white boxes.  The ammo is far more accurate than I could ever be!

i don’t shoot as much as I should and do have some commercial .45 rounds for plinking.

Regards,

Linda

15 hours ago, spagg said:

Army Ammunition Data Sheets list the 9mm bullet as 112gr?

Whats the date on that data?  The regular M882 should be the 124gr.   With the new Sig M-17 and M-18 pistols being issued, they had some new 9mm ammo come out that is flat nosed and 115gr, the M1152.   There is also another new flat nosed ammo that is a JHP, the M1153 but that is 147gr I believe.

3 hours ago, mohawkALSE said:

Whats the date on that data?  The regular M882 should be the 124gr.   With the new Sig M-17 and M-18 pistols being issued, they had some new 9mm ammo come out that is flat nosed and 115gr, the M1152.   There is also another new flat nosed ammo that is a JHP, the M1153 but that is 147gr I believe.

Looks like 1985? Here are the pics if I'm reading it right?

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg