Anyone else have a Clark ca-1 airborne dozer

tractor

• 2 weeks later...

I remember someone had this one for sale at the Heartland Militaria Sale in June of 2018 in Chickasha, Oklahoma.  I though it was pretty cool, so I took a picture of it.

IMG_9987.jpg

Aznation it's funny you had a picture of that one.  I actually bought it from a guy who bought in Oklahoma earlier this year

6F3EFF61-6EC7-4213-AC6F-9B071B6FA43D.jpeg

10 minutes ago, tractor said:

Aznation it's funny you had a picture of that one.  I actually bought it from a guy who bought in Oklahoma earlier this year

How funny indeed.  That's pretty neat that you ended up being the owner.  If I'm remembering correctly I don't think the price the original guy was selling it for was all that unreasonable at least in my opinion.  I mean I don't know how much those go for but I thought at the time that price wasn't too bad.  Congrats on being the owner!

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2020 at 10:54 PM, tractor said:

They arrived today

Glad to see both made it there safely.  What's your plans with them now?

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading through this topic last week and then saw this guy at the Airborne and Special Operations Museum in Fayetteville, North Carolina. I immediately knew what it was and thought that you guys might like a few pictures. 

41242681-B617-4E27-8C4F-E97E1CE33C2B.jpeg

833B8770-F7A1-4E28-8DB9-6421427E85EA.jpeg

31642789-056D-424D-8336-1F33A63A66A1.jpeg

Jim MacDonald

Hi Tractor,

Are you finding that the parts for restoration are hard to find or are they still out there? Where these tailor made for the military or a mod of civilian models like some of the Ford tractors that were used on aircraft carriers as tow tugs?

Mac

I will admit to knowing next to nothing about these vehicles (although having one in the garage would be cool as hell). But as far as the differences in grills, It looks like the mesh grill may have been a theater made replacement to allow more air onto the radiator

Some parts are out there and some aren't as they were used on other vehicles like the voltage regulator is the same as Indian motorcycles.  Most Clark dozer specific parts aren't out there and most people have bought multiples to get a part.  Recently some parts have been getting reproduced which is nice.  That being said  I have seen pictures of them in the wild with a lot of the parts on them it's just convincing the owner to get rid of them like anything else.  Someone in Nevada found one beside a barn and looks 100% complete just torn apart as the guy started to work on the engine when it stopped running and gave up and so it sits

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 8/30/2020 at 11:34 PM, tractor said:

6F3EFF61-6EC7-4213-AC6F-9B071B6FA43D.jpeg

Do you still have this dozer or know where it is and how to contact them? I have a dozer with that exact same blade, and I believe it to be a rare edition. I believe these where actually built for the Mountain division. I have evidence pointing in that direction but lack definitive proof. I'm looking to prove my assumptions if anyone can help. I looked at USTRAC and others to see about their blades and theirs is not even close, easy identifiable differences are, the push arms are bolted on the outside of the blade, these are welded. There are extra adjustment points by the bottom of the cylinder where the others have none. And the upper cylinder mount arms have squares cut in them not the triangles like clark. They also have wear plates welded at the bottom of the mounts where clark doesn't. All of my serial number tags have been removed except the engine one. Can anyone help?

Nice dozers, I had not seen one before. I would guess it is the same Clark as the forklifts of that era?

I am an equipment operator by trade, those are cool.