Identified M6 bayonet at Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Misfit 45

I had the opportunity to visit the the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Washington D.C.  when I attended my son's wedding in 2012.  Very moving display, unbelievable.   Of course, I had to get a good picture of the M6 bayonets they had on their M14 rifles. They are chromed and have highly polished walnut grips.  Amazing.  I got a closeup of one of the M6s, but could not make out the markings, but through the miracle of digital photography, I was able to make out the "U.S. M6" on the cross guard.

I have noticed that Imperial  always has a different style "M" on M7 bayonets, so I looked at their M6s. Yup, the same style "M" which is unique to Imperial..

So,  when I was able to crop and enlarge my photo, I could readily see that the M6 mark  had the unmistakable "M" of an Imperial M6.

It was no major discovery, but I just thought it was cool to be able to identify the M6 that was used at such a meaningful memorial.

Marv

IMG_0133RZ.jpg

resized_Imperial M6 by shape of M.JPG

M6 Imperial.jpg

resized_DSC04049.JPG

Very cool and that is definitely Imperial with a DAS mark. Saw the changing of the guard with my oldest a few years ago. Very powerful.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Marv- That's a great enlargement! Good job!  Since my son lives in DC. I have also had the opportunity to visit the "Tomb of the Unknowns". Plus visited the grave of my former commander COL. James N. Rowe, which is about 50 yards from the tomb.  SKIP

Bill- The scabbard has what looks like a two holed,  black leather extension used on holsters, but the web frog was replaced with a black leather loop. w/ M1910 belt hook.  SKIP

The 3rd Infantry Regiment, (Old Guard), has it's own Leather Shop attached to the Caisson Platoon at Ft. Myers.  This thread reminded me of a short documentary I watched years ago on the operation of this leather shop and how it supports the funeral responsibilities of the Old Guard.

Did a little searching and came across the video on line.  It's 30 minutes long. If you're curious you can do a search on line.  Type; {c-span, old guard leather shop}, and it will take you to a link to watch the video.

While this video won't show anything like the sheath posted above being made, it leaves little double that they would have no problems making it.