D-Day Medic Helmet from LST-317

usmcraidergirl

usmcraidergirl

A recent thread about medic helmets inspired me to post this one I've had for several years now. It was not originally sold as a d-day Navy helmet, but its true (and original owner's) history was uncovered thanks to the Personnel Records Center. Hope you enjoy...

JOSEPH VICTOR CHATIGNY, JR. - US Navy, World War II (last name pronounced like Chat-Knee)

Joseph Chatigny was born on June 2, 1924 in Massachusetts (I believe Bristol). His father Joseph Victor Chatigny, Sr. was from Canada and I believe may have spent some time in the Canadian Army prior to coming to the US and registering for the draft of World War I. He had one brother, Robert, who was two years young. Times were tough as the family wasn't the weathiest of families. But, they made due with that they had.

On December 8, 1941, the nation sat transfixed to the words of then President Franklin Roosevelt. "United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan." WAR!!!! Like many patriotic young men, Joseph was ready to join. However, he found himself too young to get permission. So, he reluctantly waited.

Exactly one year to the day, on December 8, 1942, Joseph enlisted in none other than the United States Navy. Now "his own man" Joseph was ready to take on the Japanese and German enemies of the country!!!

He received his recruit training at the Naval Training Station in Newport, Rhode Island. It was there he elected to take the path of becoming a Navy "doc" (aka Pharmacist Mate). The training in Ports, Virginia lasted from about April 9, 1943 until his successful graduation on June 8, 1943. Upon graduation he became the hospital's fire chief and also got to be the lucky guy driving the fire truck.

NavyID.gif

Then around January, 1944 he received word to report for naval amphibious training at Lido Beach, Long Island, New York. It was then he became aware he may be part of something BIG.

Following just days of amphibious training, Joseph found himself assigned to LST-501, which left the states on February 7, 1944 bound for England.

In April, Joseph was transformed as a then Pharmacist Mate 2nd Class to LST-317. It would be this particular transport that Joseph would find himself making history on...

LST-317 was naval transport class of tank landing ship. It was laid down on October 15, 1942 and launched on January 28, 1943. Prior to Joseph arriving as a replacement, LST-317 had already taken part in the Sicilian occupation and the Salerno landings. When LST-317 was slatted for the Normandy invasion, the skipper was apparently told (and later passed down to the crew) that it would be an "in and out mission." The problem was that really meant they would be making several trips into harms way and out.

The nature of the mission and Joseph's duties is best spelled out in his service record notation: "Troops to and evacuation of wounded from Normandy Beachhead"

Service_List.gif

On June 1, 1944, the 500th Medical Collecting Company moved from their Stating Area by truck to Portland, England and embarked on an LST 317. On June 5, 1944, LST 317 departed from Portland, England at 3:16 A.M. bound for France.

In the late hours of June 5, 1944 or the early morning hours of June 6, 1944, the skipper came over the loudspeaker with specific landing instructions. The moment was captured by a news reporter for Life magazine and labeled "D Day minus 1." It is thought by some that Joseph may actually be the young man with his arm up near the back, but there is no way to verify that. However, regardless of whether Joseph is pictured, I believe the image itself shows the uneasiness and fear on the young men's faces.

crew_of_lst317.jpg

**MORE TO COME**

usmcraidergirl

At approximately 7:30 a.m. on June 6, 1944, LST-317 disembarked its human cargo on Rhino Ferry and later into Easy Green Beach, Omaha Sector. Period reports indicate: "casualties heavy." That was an understatement.

It is unknown Joseph's exact movements during the time of the landing, as he apparently never talked to anyone about the war. Some period accounts suggest he may have been one of the ones rotated to Omaha because of his medical training. The helmet itself may support this conclusion as it has a yellowish-orange dot on the crown noting its beach sector. Several photographs of the beach sectors and medical hospitals do show a similar array of dots that research suggests may have gone up to 6. I can't find the pictures now, but when I do I will try to post them here. If someone knows about those dots, please post it as the exact purpose has alluded me.

Following the initial invasion, LST-317 continued to come and go from the beachhead delivering supplies and men. It's direct involvement (and thus Joseph's) lasted through June 21, 1944.

LST_317.jpg

LST_317_2.jpg

(From http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/16/160317.htm)

LST_317_3.jpg

(Painting by Alexander P. Russo titled "Destination Omaha." "This is the port side of LST 317, which carried troops, equipment and trucks loaded with land mines enroute to Omaha Beach on D-Day +1 (June 7, 1944)." From: http://www.history.navy.mil/ac/d-day/exdday/exdday17.htm)

**MORE TO COME**

usmcraidergirl

After LST-317's return to England, Joseph was transferred back to the states to work in the naval hospital in Boston, MA. The war ended before Joseph saw action again, however I don't know that he was too upset about it.

The good that did come out of the whole experience was that following the war Joseph decided to return to school. And what better profession than the medical profession.

Dr. Joseph Victor Chatigny, Jr. passed away on May 5, 1993 in Cambridge, New York.

And this below is left as a reminder of his service. Granted it isn't in the best of shape, but it is what it is:

(NOTE: It appears bright and lighter with the camera flash but it is actually a dark steel gray for those of you wondering about its appearance in person.)

helmet_1.jpg

helmet_2.jpg

helmet_3.jpg

helmet_4.jpg

If anyone has any additional information on the veteran or on LST-317, please feel free to post it! Enjoy! thumbsup.gif

WOW!!!! I am not sure which is more impressive the helmet or the research that went into writing the story about the helmet. That is just incredible!!! And the man lived in Cambridge, N.Y. not too far from where I live. I do have aquestion for you. Would any of these Navy medic helmets have had the yellow dot on the top of the helmet? I have a similar helmet which looks to have had a yellow dot on the top. I would be curious to know. Once again my compliments on a stunning helmet and for taking the time to do the research and make it a truly special item

Love the helmet... Love the research! As a matter of fact, there isn't much 'not' to like about this one except that it isn't mine. naughty.gif

usmcraidergirl

Thank you for the kind comments.

I neglected to mention up there but for the Normandy invasion the LST were converted to makeshift hospital ships. Each one was to have at least two Navy doctors, an Army doctor, and (I think) five pharmacist mates (I saw one source that said 10 and another place said "several" - if anyone knows for sure, please post it). The assault crafts would go to the beaches with the troops (and usually a pharmacist mate to stay with the craft). Wounded would be given first aid to stabilize and then loaded back into the assault craft, which would then go back to the LST. It was only later on once the German artillery was taken out that the LSTs like LST-317 could move to the actual beach and load wounded directly.

loading_LST.jpg

WOW!!!! I am not sure which is more impressive the helmet or the research that went into writing the story about the helmet. That is just incredible!!! And the man lived in Cambridge, N.Y. not too far from where I live. I do have aquestion for you. Would any of these Navy medic helmets have had the yellow dot on the top of the helmet? I have a similar helmet which looks to have had a yellow dot on the top. I would be curious to know. Once again my compliments on a stunning helmet and for taking the time to do the research and make it a truly special item

The Navy (and the other service branches for that matter) used the circle for a lot of things. It could be for medics, it could be for engineers, it could be for certain units/companies, etc. There really is no definite answer for how a particular one was used unless you get the vet's service history. Most often when you see them the circle was meant to denote a certain unit or station (like beach Aid Station #1 for example or, like the 6th Marine Division they did theirs by color code regiments where red was for the 22nd Marines) and not so much a particular specialty.

usmcraidergirl

Here is a photo of an LST below the decks where the wounded were being treated. This particular picture is from LIFE magazine and was taken on June 8, 1944.

below_decks_LST.jpg

And here is another from LIFE magazine. It was taken June 10, 1944. The caption: "Below decks aboard a US LST hospital ship, wounded and bandaged US soldiers enjoy a hot meal as a medic looks on during the first week of the Allied invasion of France."

below_decks_LST_2.jpg

Fantastic historical artifact and research. Also everyone, the spot on the shell that we have been talking about! Very interesting. Marinegirl, do you have any insights on the orange spot?

Again, Cheers!

Mike

Curious, but I never ran into anything about colored spots when I was working on D-day.

The only spots I found mentioned were done from gas detecting paint, which the Navy seems to be have been quite big on, but that is normally done in a fairly sloppy way, and on the front of the helmet so when you spoke to someone you could notice is it had changed color.

It certainly would not have been painted on the beach, but I don't think it has any meaning as to an assigned position on the beach. From what I have seen men assigned to a ship generally stayed on the ship handling their normal duties, unless they had been specifically selected in advance as a special far shore party. An LSI would still need its corpsman, especially if there was a chance they would have wounded on board (including wounded crewmen of the ship).

Have you tried tracking down any members of the crew? They were small enough that they probably knew everyone on board.

But the question of dots interests me, as there is also the unidentified square marking on Omaha. Now I am wondering if LSI or LST flotilla records might have any kind of mention of them? (another damn reason for an archives trip).

usmcraidergirl
Curious, but I never ran into anything about colored spots when I was working on D-day.

I hadn't either until looking through old photos. They use to have a bunch online and I'm thinking of one in particular that shows the back of the sailor standing on a dock area with the jacket saying U.S. Navy and he has like 2 or 3 of these exact dots on his helmet. I use to have a copy of it in jpg on my computer but about a year ago my computer hard drive crashed. I'm pretty sure it was an official Navy picture but I've found for the past week for some reason many of the Navy pictures aren't working online at http://www.history.navy.mil/.

Have you tried tracking down any members of the crew? They were small enough that they probably knew everyone on board.

The only one I found online that said he was a crew member of this LST passed on prior to me contacting him. In fact, it was his family that put up the information and not him directly. :( If you do know or find anything about a crewman please let me know, as I would really like to find out. The purpose of the dot on this helmet is one of those mysteries that I would love to solve.

But the question of dots interests me, as there is also the unidentified square marking on Omaha. Now I am wondering if LSI or LST flotilla records might have any kind of mention of them? (another damn reason for an archives trip).

I don't know if this will help with your square marking. This shows the square marking and the back attributes it to LIFE magazine photographer Frank Scherschel. The caption dated June 6, 1944 states: "American soldiers & equipment going ashore (note floundering jeep, C) from an LCT tank transport ship onto unident. beach along coast of Normandy to continue the Allied invasion of France, aka D-Day."

square_mark_helmet.jpg

usmcraidergirl

Here is one that isn't related to the dots or squares discussed above, but I thought I might post it here since it shows camo patterns on the helmets. There is no particular unit ID to the guys. However these Army soldiers have camo on their helmets that I usually see as described as Pacific theater camo (and is like that camo painted on Navy ships). Photo taken by LIFE magazine photographer Frank Scherschel on June 6, 1944. Caption reads: "American soldiers playing cards for French francs while on deck aboard an LCT tank transport landing craft en route to the beaches of Normandy after the Allied invasion of France, aka D-Day."

camo_helmets.jpg

Is it just me or is the variety of helmet markings both amazing and frustrating because they are everywhere and about everything? :unsure:

In the past the LST association has been pretty good about helping find people. Unfortunatly the deck logs of most of the LST and smaller vessels are lost. They have a box of uncataloged random ones at the National Archives you have to ask someone to manually look through to be sure.

But the square I mean is seen on the side of the helmet. Personally, I suspect that most of the markings seen are anti-gas paint. All it would take is some officer to tell the men to paint it on neatly. But curiously, after some photo work I am pretty sure the lighter blob on that guy's back is an anti-gas hood.

If I had to guess, and this is after looking at thousands of d-day shots fromt he Army, Navy and Marines int he archives, I would think the dot on your helmet was a ship speciifc mark- possibly tied to a battle station or something.

camo patterns on the helmets-

That's gas detection paint almost 99.9% sure. It comes up in a lot of various units seen in diofferent ways. The only ones found in real life are the funky reddish brown aged AG paint, and there is period paperwork abpout having it applied. Its just some units were more artistic than others.

What's funny is the guy in the glasses is a dead-on ringer for my father, but it can't be as he went in later on a larger ship.

usmcraidergirl
In the past the LST association has been pretty good about helping find people. Unfortunatly the deck logs of most of the LST and smaller vessels are lost. They have a box of uncataloged random ones at the National Archives you have to ask someone to manually look through to be sure.

Oh. :( Unfortunately I don't live close enough to do that. Maybe someday I'll have to make a trip.

But the square I mean is seen on the side of the helmet. Personally, I suspect that most of the markings seen are anti-gas paint. All it would take is some officer to tell the men to paint it on neatly. But curiously, after some photo work I am pretty sure the lighter blob on that guy's back is an anti-gas hood.

I don't think I've seen one on the side, but then again my primary interest in Pacific Theater Marine items. I'll keep an eye out for ones like that.

If I had to guess, and this is after looking at thousands of d-day shots fromt he Army, Navy and Marines int he archives, I would think the dot on your helmet was a ship specific mark- possibly tied to a battle station or something.

You may be right on that. And also in PM you mentioned it may be something from D +2, which could be true. I know it sounds silly, but it is so frustrating not to know what something means. Unfortunately, he person that would know for sure has passed on and without any crew I can find that would know one way or the other, it will likely remain a mystery.

I do greatly appreciate your help. :)

Christina

usmcraidergirl

Sorry to bug everyone again but I found this excellent site: http://users.skynet.be/jeeper/page84.html (And I think it is actually by a member here?) He had some amazing pictures of the different beach bns showing the helmet markings. So, thought I would post them here if they may be of help to someone researching later:

From Omaha Beach (guy appears to have a number on the top of the helmet). Purpose unknown:

navy_omaha_beach_number_on_helmet.jpg

Two pictures I believe of Navy Beach Bn guys from Utah Beach:

navy_utah_beach.jpg

navy_utah_beach2.jpg

Again, and excellent website!

talk about dots or circles--- this lid is navy and was brought in a store by the vets son. no info except the name on the front. was told my be sea bee???? it is fact that many markings on ww2 helmets are unknown and may never be descovered as to their meaning.

post-73-1232304802.jpg

post-73-1232304853.jpg

post-73-1232304872.jpg