What units were used in the defense of Washington DC during WWII?

MinorInHistory

MinorInHistory

Hello all,

I was wondering, what units were used in air and sea defense around Washington DC? I have seen many photos of sentries standing guard and manning machine gun nests and anti aircraft guns on top of buildings. My question is, who were these guys? I’ll attach some photos for reference.

Thanks!

MinorInHistory 

55CB1E23-61DD-488D-8CAD-21F72387F6CF.jpeg

E8830C17-F585-4466-9F6D-0DA37907C3BB.jpeg

A71B75CC-0211-4D18-A468-CF87BEB8739D.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

There where several right as news of Pearl Harbor came over the wire, first up, the oldest, the Washington Provisional Brigade, formed in 1936, Ft Myer and had it in December 1941 the 3rd Cavalry Regiment, C Battery 55th Field Artillery and the 708th Military Police Battalion, the WPB is inactivated in May 1942, its main combat component, the 3rd Cav Regt going though a series of redesignations and reorganizations that I don't even want to touch on complicated as they are laugh.png.879cc16115f53da269e11f85d4eb47e7.png

Then we have 176th Infantry Regiment, it was detached from the 29th Division from Ft Meade Maryland. The 176th Infantry was in due course relived from the 29th Division and became a separate Infantry Regiment, where it spends most of the war stateside in the DC area till its relocated to Fort Benning in April 1944 and Inactivated in July 1944 there, its people sent overseas as replacements, most to France we imagine.

Then there was the 3rd Service Command,  Units of this organization even though they consisted of Support units. those were stationed in the DC Northern Virginia area no doubt contributing to the defense of the capital after Pearl Harbor Day.

Any non Divisional Units stationed in the DC Northern Virginia area like Ft Lee, Ft Monroe, Cp A.P. Hill etc could be called upon

Then last but not lest the Coast Artillery units of Harbor Defense of Chesapeake Bay and the 3rd Coast Artillery District.

s-l00.jpg.d590edfc38a0a0ca8b2a696f11e8b99d.jpg

The 3rd Service Command

s-l225.jpg.91bd7c6434a825c2755a0f9d9adc7b9a.jpg

The 3rd Coast Artillery District

These guys may be of the 71st Coast Artillery Regiment (Antiaircraft) (Semimobile) in the summer of 1942, originally based at Ft Story Virginia.

t.jpeg

In addition to the 71st Coast Artillery Regiment, the following also provided AA support in Washington at some point during the war (mostly early on):

89th Coast Artillery (AA) Regiment

212th Coast Artillery (AA) Regiment

558th Coast Artillery (AA) Regiment

Wear of M1 helmets would suggest mid-to-later war.

Tom

• 2 years later...

All's Quiet Along the Potomac 

Sentinel of an unidentified unit stands watch along the Potomac shortly after Pearl Harbor Day in December 1941.

potomic0002.jpg

tpotomic0002.jpg