118th New York bummer's group

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

Allow me to share this Civil War enlistedmans' group.
   I'm aware that soldiers in all wars face trials that I will never comprehend. But the role of the common soldier of the American Civil War is often most poignant. This man came from Canada, served through three years of combat, marched from NY to VA, returned to the Adirondack's and saw his nation through the Great War. It's easy to write that he marched from NY to VA but that's about 700 miles, one way, in bad shoes!
   Clodemar Normand enlisted at age 25 on 8/9/1862 at Champlain, NY as a Private and mustered into "I" Co., 118th New York Infantry. He was discharged on 6/24/1865 at Norfolk, VA, Balfour US Hospital. He died in New York in 1925. He was of French descent and had moved to Upstate New York from Canada. Records show numerous name variants of both his first and last names. Private Norm And left to historians his discharge, a Virginia backmarked CdV, and several momento's of his post-war Grand Army of the Republic membership.
   The 118th New York, the "Adirondack Regiment," was recruited in the counties of Clinton, Essex and Warren and  mustered in at Champlain in August of 1862. They served in the defenses of Washington, at Antioch Church and Baker's cross-roads, at Franklin, and engaged at South Anna bridge. Following garrison duty in VA, the regiment took part in the campaign against Richmond with Gen. Butler's Army of the James, engaged in several skirmishes and at Drewry's bluff, it suffered 199 casualties. Fighting at Cold Harbor in June, it lost 32 killed and wounded. Further casualties came in the assaults on Petersburg, at Fort Harrison, during the advance on Richmond, and in the trenches before Petersburg. It was on the skirmish line of the 3d division when Richmond was finally occupied, and claims to have been the first Federal infantry in the city. It was mustered out June 13, 1865, having lost by death 45 in Confederate prisons.

normand2.jpg

normand1.jpg

Normand6.jpg

wartimecollectables.com

Thank you all!  A minor plus but several of my wife's "grand uncles?" served with this regiment , her grandfather served in another regiment but his brothers and cousins were in the 118th.

wartimecollectables.com
38 minutes ago, ponyradish said:

Thanks for sharing Andy. A nice big juicy hamburger for you!

LoL! Well, maybe a veggie burger!

Where ya at in Upstate?  We don't get there much anymore but it's certainly a great place.... though we avoid black fly season!

burger.jpeg

wartimecollectables.com
8 minutes ago, ponyradish said:

I’m in Oneida Andy. I know you are not a meat eater. Just kidding with ya.

Oh, I know!  Gale is from Indian Lake, waaay up der!

• 2 weeks later...
skypilot6670

Nice grouping Andrew , thanks for posting. I didn’t have any relatives serve in the 118th that I know of but my  grandmother was from Ausable Chasm N.Y. That is up state also.  Thanks again Andrew Mike