pup tent pole adapters VN period

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

I love the pup tent, but hate the poles in the middle...I have found ways to eliminate the use of the issue poles.....

apparently there is an adapter that came out during the VN war that eliminates the center pole design ...does anyone have a set? I know this should be in the wanted section...but figured it would also be instructional for those of us who never heard of such a creature...

looks like two poles hinged...easy enough to make...but would like an issue set..

104614759_nos-us-military-mountain-tent-pole-adapter-set-shelter-.jpg

adapter-zeltstangen-half-tent-us-military-mountain-tent.jpg

phantomfixer

From Olive drab web site

In the late 1960s (Vietnam War era) an adaptor kit was issued. Instead of one pole (3 sections) in the middle of each end, the adaptor allowed an A-frame to be made of two poles (6 sections plus the adaptor) on each end. That got the pole out of the middle and allowed it to lie along the diagonal edge line of the roof. It was something more to carry but made the tent more roomy and usable plus easier to get out of in a hurry.

I could see how the adapter could also be used with the arctic tent also...my arctic tent was missing the poles so I used 4 shelter half poles to make one pole for the arctic tent.....but several sites state the adapter was primarily used for the pup tent...

Quartermaster

The tent, mountain, two-man, complete is first described in TM 10-275 Principles of Cold Weather Clothing and Equipment dated 10/26/1944.

The tent poles required for the original tent were a set of 12 pole sections made of rather thin (compared to standard shelter half tent poles) in natural wood finish.  Two compete poles of 3 sections each were located at either end of the tent attached at the top in letter “A” fashion with each pole threaded through sleeves along the end edges for tent support.  Each pole had a bottom section with a spike on bottom, a middle section with hardware to accept the top and bottom sections and a top section which incorporated either a disk and loop matching pieces or with rectangular loop connectors – either of these united the left and right poles together at the top.

Later in Change Order C-2, the adapters in this discussion were described as STANDARD – replacing the older pole configuration.  The new instructions were to use 12 regular shelter half tent pole sections (the later green painted ones with the metal point at one end and a metal surrounded hole to accept the make ends of another pole section) – 4 total complete poles of 3 pole sections each – one pair at each tent entrance end.  The adapter was introduced to accept the female end of each pole at the apex of the letter “A” pole at each end and at the bottom the spike went into the ground.

Thus, the adapters were accepted as STANDARD ISSUE either towards the war’s end or shortly thereafter and originally for the 2 man mountain tent.

How they were later used, officially or unofficially, is an interesting question.

Quartermaster

BTW - to answer the original inquiry - I believe I have several pairs of the adapters squirreled away somewhere in a box.  I remember finding them either on eBay, a flea market or a militaria show many moons ago.  Since them I have found the correct original (early) pole sets for my several 2 man mountain tents so the adapters were stored away and pretty much forgotten.

phantomfixer

Thanks for the information QM and spec 6...I can see how the adapters were used in the mountain tent...I have only seen the first set of poles used with the mountain tent...there seems to be a fair amount of traffic on the internet about the adapters...not a common item but they pop up from time to time... 

thanks for setting me straight
J