USMC/USN HGU-55

mwesson030

I recently picked up this USMC Desert Storm era flight helmet. Waiting for the seller to reply to a message so hopefully I might learn a bit of the service history with this helmet.

947adc841b5363566da904c31c15b661.jpg

9bd9271f89270f374d4e7b82bc9d5942.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Under the cover. Helmet had the cat style NVG setup at some point.

b1687408abc213198e1b3d9b86434353.jpg

000bc6bea971df13f762818d19f9327b.jpg

1989 date of production chin strap. Just about the only markings on the helmet.
3bd1d219c60d572234c8d75eadcd35bf.jpg

“LRC” sharpied under the cover.

1e43c61acfe9da3358a9ab2e5281cddf.jpg

Old drill points for the older type receivers with a t bayonet mask.

0424a970805cddd4f5338a14f494854c.jpg

A 55P shouldnt be using a  T bayonet with that kind of edgeroll.   Ive never seen it on a tacair helmet yet, but also dont claim to be an expert on Navy helmets, but maybe those were from mounting the NBC aircrew protective mask.  The Camlock masks the Navy and Marines first starting using used the original Brit style mask retention cables.   If you look at some older SPH-3 helicopter helmets, you will find them with those types of retention devices installed.  They mounted from the inside of the shell, not externally.  Today the Camlock masks use snap retention for the helo helmets and not sure on tacair stuff.

Odd they used a 26P chinstrap for it as a replacement but who knows.  Its a very cool helmet overall, especially having the cover still.

Ah, I remember seeing a few helicopter helmets with mounts for those masks at some point. That explains that! As for using a 26/P chin strap, it is certainly unusual and reinforces my belief that this was probably a USMC helmet.

On a side note, does anyone here have an extra MBU-14 that they might be interested in selling?

Again, just a theory of mine, but being straight like that, reminds me how the SPH-3 helmets were.   Maybe someone more knowledgeable on Aircrew CBRN stuff might be able to shed light.  A good number of collectors out there who like those Camlock masks.  They have 4 variations of them depending on aircraft use and if they have a O2 system and what type of system.

Supposing those drill marks are what they are, do you think that means there is a pretty good chance this helmet was flown in theatre?

Very nice helmet. I think the cover is rigger made and it is marked “LRG” for large. Is the helmet marked “Fudge” on the back?

Chris

Very nice helmet. I think the cover is rigger made and it is marked “LRG” for large. Is the helmet marked “Fudge” on the back?

Chris

It says “Mudge” on the label.

Thank you. I hope you can find some info on your helmet. Really nice helmet. I knew an A-6 Naval Aviator who had a call sign of “Fudge” and he wore a helmet very similar to your helmet during Desert Storm. 

Our Aviators also had very similar Camo covers during Desert Storm. Our Parachute riggers cranked them out for all the Squadron Aircrew during the transit to the Persian Gulf. 

Chris