Czech Legion uniform WWI

Mr.Jerry

We are still chasing this guys information down, but he was a US citizen that served with the 22nd regiment of the Czech Legion in WWI, interesting story there and honestly a really cool and complete uniform to find! Tunic, overcoat, trousers, puttees and a jaunty beret!

IMG_5127.JPG

IMG_5139.JPG

IMG_5133.JPG

BILL THE PATCH

Czech's in ww1, who side were they on?. Awesome uniform, something you don't see every day. Has to be rare.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

I used to collect Czech Legion in Russia material and have quite a few original photos on my computer at home. I believe this uniform is for the Czech Legion that fought with the French, not with the Russians. Once I get home, I'll try to find some pics of this uniform in wear.

And yes, to find a complete uniform is exceptionally rare! 

huntssurplus

Wow that's awesome! Why choose to fight with the Czech's though opposed to the French or British? Maybe he had heritage with them. Could have been a recent immigrant that spoke the language? Please post once you have info on his service!

Hunt

Here's a photo of a group from the 21st Regiment. You can see how the beret was worn, pulled back from the forehead. 

Screenshot_3.jpg

And probably the most well known Czech Legion, who fought against the Red Army in Siberia, and later with the Allied Army in eastern Siberia. They eventually made it home via the United States - most spending time in San Diego, in fact. 

Screenshot_5.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Excellent photographs Dave

Here's one from the web showing the Czech Legion 22nd Infantry Regiment uniform as worn in France

Czech Legion 22nd Infantry Regiment France 001.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

It's really cool to learn something new, and to see the artifacts to go with it.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Here's the Czech Legion in San Diego on July 9, 1919. They were at Camp Kearny, a part of which is today's Marine Corps Air Station Miramar. They headed east from San Diego to Europe, parading in review in Washington DC about nine days after this photo was taken: 

czechleg1.jpg

czechleg4.jpg

czechleg2.jpg

czechleg3.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First photos I have seen of the Russian Legion on the East Coast. Many thanks for posting; fills in a large blank!! For those of you unfamiliar with the really great story of the Czech Legions in WWI, The Army Without A Country by Edwin Hoyt is a good introduction. If a copy can be found, K Vitezne Svobode, published in Prague in 1929, is an incredible book, written in Czech and French, but loaded with photos. 

mccooper

k vitezne svobode.jpg

On 12/17/2020 at 6:38 PM, Mr.Jerry said:

I am blown away by the photos! Thanks guys!

Still would love to know the name of the soldier...  Scott