North American P-51 but sold to who?

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

Posted this over on the WWF but it got no love, so since it is an ex-American Fighter plane, I'm posting it here as well. 

Great shot, but who was it sold too? 

Found this neat photo of a P-51. There appears to a C-47 behind it and a C-54 in the background. 

Am thinking it now belongs to a South American Country. Argentina? Tail # 476156

There is another winged logo below the canopy, but it is pretty faint in the photo.  Possible ID what country it flew for? 

2020-08-02_231226.jpg

2020-08-02_231315.jpg

2020-08-02_231226 - Copy (2).jpg

easterneagle87

I thought the French would use a roundel on their aircraft markings. Red circle , blue dot center. Where as the Brit's would use blue circle with red dot center.

DocCollector1441

In the last photo I can see a roundel under the wing. 

The only South American Country that has a similar flag is Peru which was not listed as an operator of the P51.

• 3 weeks later...

If the C-47 is tail number 42-24178, it went to Europe and stayed there with the 36th FIW in Germany until 1963 (in storage for most of the 50s). It then went to Air America with the Royal Laotian AF.  Unknown fate after 1966.  I could not find a similar paint scheme on it, it was bright skinned in the late 50s, so probably a late 40s shot.

The P-51 could be one of the "occupation air force" aircraft in Germany in the late 40s.  36th FIW was at Fürstenfeldbruck, along with the Swiss (flying US P-51s, yours isn't Swiss marked).  Wonder if there were other air forces contributing there?  The tower in background almost looks like Fürstenfeldbruck without its top observation level.