Highway robbery on Medic Helmet.

CWG

Hello all, I was just looking at the last Bay State Military update and I wish I would have seen the update sooner. They had a Medic fixed bail helmet for sale with a $239 price tag. Thing looks really good and very much has that "been there" look. I really hope a member from the forum purchased this lid as I believe it could have some research potential. Bay State also added that the lid had been in storage for 25 years.

https://www.baystatemilitaria.com/WWII/WWIIHeadgear.htm

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 10.54.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 10.54.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 10.54.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 10.54.47 PM.png

I was wondering about that one too! I check that site often and as soon as I saw it, it had already sold darn it. 

Agreed! It’s very neat. I hope some more information comes out about the lid from a forum member. The Rocky inscription on the back is super cool. 

huntssurplus
34 minutes ago, Lsparks said:

$239 doesn’t sound like highway robbery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$239 is a very, very good price. I would say the OP meant that it was highway robbery for whoever bought it because of the price.

Hunt

$239 is a very, very good price. I would say the OP meant that it was highway robbery for whoever bought it because of the price.

Hunt

Fair point.

I remember there being a fourth digit after the 239 that seems to have been accidentally deleted whenever they updated it to say “sold”...

7 hours ago, ArchangelDM said:

It was over 2000 USD not 200 

Ah, thanks Dean! So over $2,000 makes me feel a lot better about not seeing that baby on time and buying it. Great helmet!!!

9 hours ago, jguy1986 said:

I remember there being a fourth digit after the 239 that seems to have been accidentally deleted whenever they updated it to say “sold”...

yes, I recall that being the case also now that you mention it....I remember glancing at the price and moving on 😕

ArchangelDM
2 hours ago, jmd62 said:

Ah, thanks Dean! So over $2,000 makes me feel a lot better about not seeing that baby on time and buying it. Great helmet!!!

yeah I saw it when it was listed - killer lid 

congrats to the new caretaker 

4 hours ago, jmd62 said:

Well we now know what happened, I do feel better about this as up until Dean pointed out I really thought this set sold for $239! Unless the new caretaker post info on the lid I plan on deleting this by tomorrow as this post shows no use now.

11 hours ago, ArchangelDM said:

A nice and original medic helmet ! Some got a great lid 

"Getting stronger, getting strongerrrr, getting strongerrr" Perhaps Rocky went 5 rounds with a nazi or japanese solider while wearing this lid. 

ArchangelDM
4 minutes ago, WW1 said:

"Getting stronger, getting strongerrrr, getting strongerrr" Perhaps Rocky went 5 rounds with a nazi or japanese solider while wearing this lid. 

😂 

1 minute ago, ArchangelDM said:

😂

Last one I promise its just too funny

"ADRIANNNN' 

"Rock, get your rump down your going to get shot"

"ADRIANN I WONN"

"Rock, your wife is 7,000 miles away back home"

"YOU CAN CHANGE, SEE ANYBODY CAN CHANGE"

"Alright fellas, send him back to camp he needs some provisions"

The Rooster

Questions...

Why is what appears to be the original red cross on the back so faded and different from the bright glossy red cross on the front ?

What explains that? Where is the crazing in the paint on the cross?

Looks fresh as a daisy.

Why the difference between front and back?

Questions...
Why is what appears to be the original red cross on the back so faded and different from the bright glossy red cross on the front ?
Looks fresh as a daisy.

Good questions Rooster. All I know is that Bay State says the lid has been sitting in a box for 25 years. They got this and the nicest Hawley I have ever seen, from some guy. I personally cannot answer your question as I know very little about paint on helmets and the methods used to do such. I can guarantee many people on the forum know and will answer your question. This thread could be a good learning opportunity on painting helmets.

ArchangelDM
45 minutes ago, The Rooster said:

Questions...

Looks fresh as a daisy.

Hi Dave 

what I believe you are seeing is a later red cross on the front. 

the Roundel for me looks correct with the white going cream, correct for white painted helmets that have seen outside use. 
the crosses on the side have been done with medical tape and then painted larger in red. 

My guess is that under that roundel you would find a sloppy medics marking which was painted earlier. 

looks to me like the medic at some point of his war career put small medics crosses due to no one caring for the Geneva code, later on when back at the rear of the company or aboard a ship etc he took time and got the main medics cross painted. 

This is all conjecture my end but by looking at the painted insignias it tells a story with regards to the  size of the crosses and the sloppy red ones. 

With regards to the shine on the front Roundel, it could be lighting, could be varnished, unless a forum member had it you will never know. 
I like the medic insignia because there are no BS scratches running through them, no screwdriver marks and fake chipping. 

When it was painted on the front who knows, 

maybe he had a long service career and the vet repainted it later on, who knows. 

All I know is I do like the way it sits 

hope that’s helps 

Hi Dave 

what I believe you are seeing is a later red cross on the front. 

the Roundel for me looks correct with the white going cream, correct for white painted helmets that have seen outside use. 
the crosses on the side have been done with medical tape and then painted larger in red. 

My guess is that under that roundel you would find a sloppy medics marking which was painted earlier. 

looks to me like the medic at some point of his war career put small medics crosses due to no one caring for the Geneva code, later on when back at the rear of the company or aboard a ship etc he took time and got the main medics cross painted. 

This is all conjecture my end but by looking at the painted insignias it tells a story with regards to the  size of the crosses and the sloppy red ones. 

With regards to the shine on the front Roundel, it could be lighting, could be varnished, unless a forum member had it you will never know. 
I like the medic insignia because there are no BS scratches running through them, no screwdriver marks and fake chipping. 

When it was painted on the front who knows, 
maybe he had a long service career and the vet repainted it later on, who knows. 

All I know is I do like the way it sits 

hope that’s helps 

Agreed, especially in the pacific the Japanese did not care about the Geneva code. They would purposely shoot medics that had any sort of medical identification on them. Whether that be the arm band, helmet, or chest. They were very cruel. Most medics ditched all of that for a small marking like Archangel pointed out.

32 minutes ago, ArchangelDM said:

Maybe it's my eyes but to me it looks like there is an older cross on top of the roundel but under the newer cross. Looking at the bottom and right portions of the cross.

ArchangelDM
1 minute ago, Nickman983 said:

Maybe it's my eyes but to me it looks like there is an older cross on top of the roundel but under the newer cross. Looking at the bottom and right portions of the cross.

indeed an older Red Cross underneath which matches the other crosses in color 

😏

C31DE052-7ADF-4423-B47A-4C34EC45104A.png