A bizarre Aircrew Wing- jeweler modified F.H. Noble pilot wing

5thwingmarty

5thwingmarty

So in the other current thread about a wing that was modified to create an Aircrew wing I mentioned I had a more bizarre one headed my way.  It arrived today and is presented here.  Upon first glance at the face of the wing there is nothing overly unusual, other than the seal looking maybe a bit undersized with a very thin edge.  Turning it over, the bizarre nature of the wing becomes apparent.  Some highly skilled craftsman took a 1920's to 1930's Noble Pilot wing and modified it to create an Aircrew wing.  Even the massive Hercules findings were kept on the wing.  Comparing the seal on the wing, it appears that it was removed from a very common government issue Aircrew wing.  The edge boarder of the seal was cut down to a much finer line, but the details on the seal were not marred.  A photo of the seal on an issue wing is included for comparison.

Aircrew front_resize.JPG

Aircrew rear_resize.JPG

Aircrew shield attachment_resize.JPG

Noble shield_resize.JPG

Issue shield_resize.JPG

Old Crow 1986

I learn - or see - something new everyday.  Congratulations on a unique find.  Thanks for sharing!

manayunkman

That’s a cut down pilot wing to make an crew wing?

If it is there is another thread about two aerial gunner wings cut down to make crew wings.

They both have the eagle disc attached as well.

5thwingmarty

I saw and commented in that thread as well.  I didn't want to hijack that thread as it appeared those conversions might have been more of a production run as there was more than one done, and they were converting common issue-type gunner wings to make aircrew wings using buttons.  The only thing I have come up with that might make any sense with this wing would be a family heirloom from a pilot father that was converted to an aircrew wing for a son.  In the 1940's these would not be considered valuable collectors items so converting a Noble wing into an aircrew wing wouldn't have caused any heartache then.  Why else would a jeweler go to the effort of not only cutting the seal off one aircrew wing, trimming the edge border to a finer line, and then carefully trimming a pilot wing to mount the seal on.  The final product would not look significantly different than any other issue aircrew wing.

The wing came in a group of aircrew wings, and there was no available info on their history.  I need to get busy and list the other wings for sale.