Catskill police seek public’s help finding stolen war medal

Catskill-stolen-spanish-civil-war-medal.jpg.b202cf6a4b147d0e3a835b12faa61630.jpg

This from a recent news article.  Does anyone know what medal this is?  Was it a local NY medal?  There was a J Raven who served with the 71st NY State Militia.

Catskill police seek public’s help finding stolen war medal

CATSKILL, N.Y. (NEWS10) — The Catskill Police Department is looking for help after a war medal was reported stolen.

The medal was awarded to the victim’s father after he was severely wounded in 1937 during the Spanish Civil War while serving as a member of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade.

The medal is gold in color and depicts Abraham Lincoln with his hands on the shoulder of a soldier. The back of the medal is engraved with the name J. Robert Raven.

The medal is a family heirloom, and the Catskill Police Department is looking to recover it for the victim.

The department said in a Facebook post that no questions will be asked if the medal is turned in to the department. Any information on the medal’s location will be kept confidential.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Det. Deitz at (518) 943-2244.

https://www.news10.com/news/local-news/catskill-police-seek-publics-help-finding-stolen-war-medal/

ludwigh1980

Lincoln Brigade Spanish Civil War...wow. Bet the family showed it to some-one who was a history buff and it disappeared shortly there after. I have to imagine that is quite a valuable medal. I have only seen a couple of items related to Lincoln Brigade in many years of collecting American Volunteer material. This was when a few American's fought against Franco's forces in Spain in the 1930's. Think Ernest Hemingway. 

17 minutes ago, ludwigh1980 said:

Lincoln Brigade Spanish Civil War...wow. Bet the family showed it to some-one who was a history buff and it disappeared shortly there after. I have to imagine that is quite a valuable medal. I have only seen a couple of items related to Lincoln Brigade in many years of collecting American Volunteer material. This was when a few American's fought against Franco's forces in Spain in the 1930's. Think Ernest Hemingway. 

ludwigh1980, Thank you very much for your reply. I read that article twice and both times missed it was the Spanish Civil War, not the ACW.