HELP REAL OR FAKE? WW2 USAAF Wings

joaobr

Hello gentlemen,

These pilot wings came with a nominal B-17 pilot uniform from World War II dated 1944. I don't know how to ascertain the originality or dating of the wings. I ask for your help. Thank you.

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-01 at 21.39.08 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-01 at 21.39.08 (5).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-01 at 21.39.08 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-01 at 21.39.08 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-01 at 21.39.08 (4).jpeg

That is an unusual wing. The obverse looks good - nice and detailed, pelican beak pattern. The reverse may tell the story though. There appears to be the very weak remnants of a raised N S Meyer Inc New York makers mark. The sterling mark has been stamped in after production. The thing that gets me are the 2 features highlighted - they look like the remnants of sprue from casting. Combined with the weak maker mark and 180 degree opening pin, I think this is probably a really nice casting of a WW2/KW vintage Meyer wing.

Regards

Mike

1431096444_WhatsAppImage2020-08-01at21_39-ed.jpg

Hello Mike,

Thank you so much for your answer! It was comforting because this wing is really very unusual and it had left me with a lot of doubts.

Regards,

João.

I am scratching my head here and am not so sure I want to declare this to be a Meyer fake. For starters, the obverse of the wing looks much like the LG Balfour pattern, and the detail looks great to me. The back side of the wing is interesting because of the hollow appearance, especially on the feathers closest to the shield. This doesn't look like any sort of Meyer wing that I have ever encountered. Also, we can see the two triangular spots which MikeK has circled. To me, neither looks like a Meyer mark. Both are raised spots and I am wondering if they might have been intentional to allow the wing a little more bulk at a place where they would have been at their weakest from the manufacturing process. Also, I have circled an area on the shield that looks to me like there could be a name or a logo there. My eyesight isn't what it used to be, so maybe someone else can evaluate that.

The Sterling stamped mark reminds me a lot of the way Harry Sugarman wings used to be marked. Anyway, I am not so keen on the idea of calling this wing cast, or a fake. I think it deserves more in-depth analysis.

Allan

Pilot2.jpg

Thanks for your response Allan. I will send more detailed photos and other details for you to take a look at.

Regards,

João.

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-05 at 11.31.21 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-05 at 11.31.21 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-05 at 11.31.21.jpeg

Allan,

You've misread my comments. The area you've circled is imo the very weak and partial Meyer maker mark I mentioned. The two raised areas I circled are what appear to me to be the remains of casting sprue, not a maker mark.

Regards

Mike

Thanks for the clarification Mike. It makes more sense to me now. The marking on the back of the shield appears to be for NS Meyer Inc. The 180 degree pin and the other related issues would be reason to seriously question originality.

Allan

5thwingmarty

I would seriously doubt these wings were original to the uniform.  While it is possible Meyer acquired the LGB dies at some point, LGB continued to use them until at least well into the 50's.  Without ironclad provenance, I would not offer these as original WWII wings or even real Meyer restrikes.  I have met a few vets who lost their original wings over the years and then later decided they wanted a wing to wear on a hat or jacket so they just went to the surplus store and bought one, not caring that it was a $5 copy.  That might be the case with this wing, or it could have been added by a seller along the way to bump up the apparent value of the jacket.

Those bumps look like sprue marks to me and the partial Meyer mark is from a completely different style of wing.  I think Marty is right.

yours comments were quite clear. Thank you for your contribution.
As f or these other wings, what do you think?

image.png

image.png