37 DIVISION U .S. N uniform

market garden

Saw this at a antique mall. It looked like original thread etc. On the 37Div. Patch sewn to this Navy uniform. I did not purchase this. 20200803_173316.jpg.4f0a78d59383488a739e776fa8771791.jpgYour thoughts?

olivedrab1970

Interesting, I just went through through some research on the 37th. Considering that the 37th was in the PTO at Bougainville and the Philippines it makes you wonder if some US Navy personnel where attached with the doggies. I would think however that the patch if at all would be sewn on the right upper shoulder than dead square on the chest..lol

Robin- 

I Collect USMC WWII uniforms, gear, patches, insignia. medals and ribbons. I also sell and trade Militaria of primarily the U.S. Military.

R.Delaney

Semper Fidelis-

huntssurplus

Maybe the sailor was attached to the 37th and received the patch and just put it on wherever he wanted unauthorized has a signal to members of the 37th he had been with them. A lot of returning service members did not follow regulation at all, and it may have been a salute to the guys of the 37th he served with. Sledge mentions in his book that as he was coming home from the war in his uniform with the 1st marine division patch on his shoulder, as he attempted to lay the taxi driver, the taxi driver told him the ride was free. His reasoning was because he himself had been a soldier apart of the 81st infantry division and had been rescued by a group of marines from the 1st marine division during the battle of Peleliu. It makes me think that a similar thing was the case with this sailor.

By any chance what is the rate on the rank patch? Maybe the sailor was apart of an amphibious unit and helped land soldiers on the beaches?

Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am an amateur collector of US military items of the 20th century.

Looking for items related to:

-The Aleutian Island Campaign of WW2, Alaskan Theater, Alaska Defense Command, and more specifically the Battle of Attu

-Items related to the 50th Combat Engineer Regiment/Battalion

-Items related to Wheelus Air Force Base Libya, particularly from 1957-1960

-WW2 items belonging to service members from Northern Virginia

-WW2 Uniforms (all branches and services)

-Cheap/Throwaway WW2 named uniforms

-Smaller WW2 Groupings

-7th Infantry Division Items

-WW2 Photos and Letters (all branches, theaters, services, etc)

^^ PM ME!!

Instagram: @surplus_central https://instagram.com/surplus_central/

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/giovachm

There is no reason an Army patch would be on a naval uniform; the only thing even remotely close would be the wear of Marine SSI by corpsmen. This is probably just an addition for a Halloween or school play costume.

In memory of Dr. Leo P. Krall, USPHS
USS Uniontown (PF-65)

Interested in uniforms / groupings from Massachusetts and New England veterans

(particularly 26th "Yankee" Division), and original propaganda leaflets from WWI and WWII.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

huntssurplus
There is no reason an Army patch would be on a naval uniform; the only thing even remotely close would be the wear of Marine SSI by corpsmen. This is probably just an addition for a Halloween or school play costume.

While yes in regulation that is correct there are many interesting things that happened. It looks like there is braid indicating that the uniform was probably privately tailored. It might be a name. Also what does the label say? If the name can be research we may find more about the individuals service history which could warrant the patch being a personal modification. Maybe it was done by the family or vet after the war. Who knows, it never hurts to speculate though.

Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-The Aleutian Island Campaign of WW2, Alaskan Theater, Alaska Defense Command, and more specifically the Battle of Attu

-Smaller WW2 Groupings

^^ PM ME!!

I’m well aware, and I usually try to give the benefit of the doubt to unusual stuff from the period, but this isn’t a cuff striker, or even on a spot where any insignia was worn at all at the time. For there to be an association with non-regulation insignia, there should be SOME evidence of the practice, e.g. Americal vets wearing the MarDiv patch on their cuff. This is just so random, it probably has no significance. 

In memory of Dr. Leo P. Krall, USPHS
USS Uniontown (PF-65)

Interested in uniforms / groupings from Massachusetts and New England veterans

(particularly 26th "Yankee" Division), and original propaganda leaflets from WWI and WWII.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

huntssurplus
2 hours ago, jguy1986 said:

I’m well aware, and I usually try to give the benefit of the doubt to unusual stuff from the period, but this isn’t a cuff striker, or even on a spot where any insignia was worn at all at the time. For there to be an association with non-regulation insignia, there should be SOME evidence of the practice, e.g. Americal vets wearing the MarDiv patch on their cuff. This is just so random, it probably has no significance. 

Yeah when you put it that way I would have to agree. I'm a big advocate for non-regulation insignia being plausible, but this is a weird one. Maybe the OP can go back and get some more information. I guess was cool to see though at least.

Hunt

-Smaller WW2 Groupings

^^ PM ME!!