Awarded 1st Byrd Expedition Bronze Medal

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

Thank you for allowing me to share!

Naval aviator, explorer and later Admiral Richard E. Byrd, led explorers to Antarctica in December 1928, setting up a camp, nicknamed “Little America,” on the Ross Ice Shelf. For two years, members of the expedition weathered the harsh Antarctic conditions, collecting flora, fauna and soil samples while mapping from their aircraft miles of previously uncharted territory. 
Byrd, along with the other members of the expeditionary team, were awarded medals in 1930 by President Hoover after successfully completing a trip through the Arctic Circle. Congress authorized the award, as proposed by the Navy Department, to members of the expedition in Gold, Silver, and Bronze. It measures 2.5 inches in diameter and cast bearing the likeness of Admiral Byrd on the face with images of the expedition vessels on the back. The inscription  the reads for “undaunted service in connection with the scientific investigations and extraordinary aerial explorations of the Antarctic continent.” Of the 81 members of the expedition that were awarded medals: 65 were awarded gold, seven received silver medals, and nine received bronze.
This award is an unquestioned original and perhaps one of the most historically important pieces I have owned. The 1st. Byrd Expedition 1928-30 Bronze Medal  is one of only 9  struck at the  US Mint (note the opening in medal ring). It is engraved as presented to expedition member SYDNEY GLEASON. The accompanying photos of the Expedition are assumed to be from Gleasin's estate.

Byrda.jpg

Byrdb.jpg

Byrdd.jpg

Byrdc.jpg

2020-07-11 04.02.21.jpg

Brian Dentino

Another absolutely stunning piece from your collection Mr. Lipps!  Talk about rare!  I have never, ever seen any examples of the 1st Byrd medal.  Question, did the gold and silver version have different ribbons/drapes than your bronze one?  Thanks for sharing this gem with us.

wartimecollectables.com
1 hour ago, Brian Dentino said:

Another absolutely stunning piece from your collection Mr. Lipps!  Talk about rare!  I have never, ever seen any examples of the 1st Byrd medal.  Question, did the gold and silver version have different ribbons/drapes than your bronze one?  Thanks for sharing this gem with us.

I believe all had the same drape.  Interestingly it seems the criteria for award was pretty arbitrary, depending on and decided by Byrd. Gleason was a cook and from all accounts a bit of a surly drunk, not well like by Byrd... so Bronze!

Byrd1.jpg

Popular Mechanics.jpg

Andrew,

You have been very busy picking up some really outstanding medals and groups both for your collection and for sale!  Congratulations on this one!

Michael

• 2 months later...

Andrew phenomenal!! I’ve been recently renewing my interest in the Polar and Antarctic Expeditions so I’m thrilled to come across this thread. Thank you for sharing such a rare and marvelous treat. 

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Never saw this thread before...wow! I have a weird little side affinity for cold weather related stuff, never thought I'd see one of these in collector circles

wartimecollectables.com

I grew up in Illinois but have been in the south since I was twenty and NEVER want to see snow again.. That said I too am fascinated by Shackelton, Perry, Byrd, etc. 

• 1 month later...

I'm new to this forum and wanted to post my recently acquired Byrd Bronze Medal named to Max E. Boehning. There were other items which came with the medal,

photo album with photos of Max, City of New York Ship, Stars and Stripes Airplane,

Max with Dog Sled ...signed Admiral Byrd Letters presenting the Medal to Max's family due to Max passing of Pneumonia in 1931. a letter from the secretary of the Navy. There was also Radiograms and a pair of Moccasins named to Max and a bunch of newspaper articles...too much to post.

Byrd Exp medal 1.jpeg

Byrd exp medal 2.jpeg

byrd medal Max e. Boehning.jpeg

Byrd Medal letter.jpeg

Byrd Medal letter 2.jpeg

byrd photo album 1.jpeg

Byrd Photo album 2.jpeg

Byrd Photo album 3.jpeg

Byrd Album 4.jpeg

71Mach,  that's one heckuva debut to the Forum Medal section.   Welcome and congrats on having an amazing and rare (complete with transmittal paperwork and photos) historic medal group from the First Byrd Expedition.  Since you're in Florida and Boehning was from (and is buried) at Tampa, did you happen to acquire them from descendants?  Boehning died on 6/19/31, and it's interesting that there are two different medal transmittal letters, one from Asst Nav Sec.  Ernest Lee Jahncke dated 7/29/31 to Boehning, a month after he died (at San Francisco?)  and the other on 9/23/31 to his parents at Tampa.   (Could there have been two medals?)  There are a number of Byrd Expedition and general Polar aficionados on this forum, so if you're up to it, your group would certainly rate its own attributed medal post, and any more of it that you're willing to scan and share here.   Interesting that both Boehning and Sydney Greason were among the 12 men who left the Expedition early in April 1929 to return to San Francisco, for a six month leave.   I don't know if either or both returned to the Pole, someone else probably does.   Since these are the only two attributed Byrd 1st bronze medals I've ever seen among the 9 that were apparently issued per the medal roster scan (#9)  from the original post,  for me it's curious that the Greason medal is hand engraved on the rim, while yours is machine impressed.    The meaning of the notations next to their names on the roster are probably speculative at best, I'm guessing.  Both have "no" written to the right of their names, while Greason also has a circled X to the left of his.   Be interesting to see what a third or more bronze medal looks like as far as naming, if one ever shows up.   Would you mind posting a picture of the reverse of your medal showing the brooch? From the front photos it looks like it might be a crimped brooch (maybe replaced over the years?), rather than the full wrap brooch that would be expected for a 1931 US Mint medal, which yours clearly is with the correct open medal suspension ring.

Boehning.png

boehning2.jpg

I'm new to this forum and wanted to post my recently acquired Byrd Bronze Medal named to Max E. Boehning. There were other items which came with the medal,

photo album with photos of Max, City of New York Ship, Stars and Stripes Airplane,

Max with Dog Sled ...signed Admiral Byrd Letters presenting the Medal to Max's family due to Max passing of Pneumonia in 1931. a letter from the secretary of the Navy. There was also Radiograms and a pair of Moccasins named to Max and a bunch of newspaper articles...too much to post.

Thanks for the quick response and the additional information...here's a little backstory on how I acquired the medal. A couple of years ago this grouping came into my buddy's Coin and Militaria Shop by a relative of Max's and was sold to a mutual friend who collects mainly named medals and wings. I collect mainly WW1/WW2 items but love history. A month ago, my buddy wanted to trade for a couple of WW1 USMC items I had. It was hard to let them go but saw the significance in the grouping. The forum is correct the ribbon was replaced a few years back and is newer ribbon and brooch. I would like to find the correct wrapped brooch one day but as they say that might be as rare as hensteeth. I have attached a few more pics ....hope the forum enjoys.1037501827_MaxNewspaperArticle.jpeg.ead611bf208a017408160cd3cf1807ea.jpeg

Byrd Medal Reverse.jpeg

Radiogram.jpeg

Byrd Letter Max's Death.jpeg

Max's Passing.jpeg

Max City of New York.jpeg