Large Shell ID Help

cerick1450

IF 90mm, it is an M318 AP round missing the windshield ( aerodynamic cone). Pictured on right, ( my collection) blue ( practice) , black one , live. Wire brush the area just above the rotating band ( about 1/2 ") and you will see the markings. image.jpeg.45d32630f3ace03370e6c2d4d62146a7.jpeg

3 1/2" converts to 89mm, so I assume it is 90mm. As it is in very , very poor fired condition, you probably will have problems in reading the ID engraving if just above the rotating band (early to mid 50's of your type was impressed directly on the copper driving band- during late 50's/60's to today they started marking the bodies just forward of the band). I take it you did not wire brush the area to bare shiny metal that may have all the definitive information? Worth a try, even with all the rust, a few letters should be visible....the shape it is in makes it a good boat anchor anyway.  To answer your question, if it does not have a flaming bomb ordnance marking on the body it is not WW2. The AP round you have is missing the windshield, destroyed on impact. This 90mm AP shell is very common, millions made during the 50's-70's. In the future, I encourage all to do a site search, I put this together for 90-120mm. The one on the left ( what I believe is yours) is dated 1956, it is also missing the windshield and has the M number, date, manufacturer, type, lot number...impressed on the intact driving band, not body. 

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/329017-us-tank-ordnance-id-90mm-120mm/&tab=comments#comment-2769892