1950 Ike 29th Infantry Regt.

P-59A

In general US history as taught in school sure gives a white wash to how bad the Korean war was. I had no idea it was this bad this early on.

13 hours ago, P-59A said:

In general US history as taught in school sure gives a white wash to how bad the Korean war was. I had no idea it was this bad this early on.

For the U.S. in the three major battles  in an approximate  2 month period for battles of Osan, Taejon and the Pusan Perimeter to include minor clashes in between the Battle of Osan and the official U.S. Army's start of the Pusan Perimeter were Killed in Action in excess of 5,500,, Wounded in Action in excess of 12,300, Missing and or Captured in excess of 5,500.

Captainofthe7th

This is a really neat jacket.

The 29th Inf is a unique Korean War unit.  Patches covered most of the details.  They actually had all three battalions active on Okinawa, but understrength and the 2d Bn was stripped to fill out 1st and 3d which went to Korea.  They were a misfit unit and constantly referred to as an RCT the entire July and August 1950 period though they had no supporting units and little supply from 24th or 25th Div or higher command.  They were first attached to 24th and later 25th when they were absorbed as the third battalions to the 27th and 35th Infantry.  It was a fairly lateral transition, 1/29 rebranded as 3/35 and 3/29 as 3/27.  The two original 29ers I have in my collection wear 25th Div combat patches - one WO continued service into 1951 with the 35th Infantry and the other soldier was wounded and evacuated before the absorption, so he was technically an organic 29er and wears the 25th patch.

To me it is just as likely that your jacket dates to the prewar period or war time period, but after the 29th was reduced to paper status and reconstituted on Okinawa where they would once again wear the Ryukyus patch.  If there is a laundry number I will soon be requesting the July 1950 rosters for the regiment and can check anything you need.  Alternatively I can check casualties by laundry number and have the war diaries for the period as well.

Rob

1 hour ago, Captainofthe7th said:

This is a really neat jacket.

The 29th Inf is a unique Korean War unit.  Patches covered most of the details.  They actually had all three battalions active on Okinawa, but understrength and the 2d Bn was stripped to fill out 1st and 3d which went to Korea.  They were a misfit unit and constantly referred to as an RCT the entire July and August 1950 period though they had no supporting units and little supply from 24th or 25th Div or higher command.  They were first attached to 24th and later 25th when they were absorbed as the third battalions to the 27th and 35th Infantry.  It was a fairly lateral transition, 1/29 rebranded as 3/35 and 3/29 as 3/27.  The two original 29ers I have in my collection wear 25th Div combat patches - one WO continued service into 1951 with the 35th Infantry and the other soldier was wounded and evacuated before the absorption, so he was technically an organic 29er and wears the 25th patch.

To me it is just as likely that your jacket dates to the prewar period or war time period, but after the 29th was reduced to paper status and reconstituted on Okinawa where they would once again wear the Ryukyus patch.  If there is a laundry number I will soon be requesting the July 1950 rosters for the regiment and can check anything you need.  Alternatively I can check casualties by laundry number and have the war diaries for the period as well.

Rob

Rob, Thanks for the offer, but this Ike has nothing that ties it to anyone. No name, no laundry number, nothing. I don't think this jacket even made it to the cleaners. No staples or marks from a staple. I don't know if the 29th shipped with their belongings to Korea. If they did and it was lost this could also be a replacement Ike when he got back to Okinawa...who knows.

Rob the key is the 1 Nov 1950 date of this IKE, bringing the time period this was worn into 1951, and not after 1951 as the wear lower discs are abolished in October 51

tag.JPG

Captainofthe7th
1 hour ago, patches said:

Rob the key is the 1 Nov 1950 date of this IKE, bringing the time period this was worn into 1951, and not after 1951 as the wear lower discs are abolished in October 51

Aha!  Duh! I missed that :)  

Rob

• 1 year later...