I've never seen one

JohnnyFrost

JohnnyFrost

Seen today at an area antique shop. The leather is in good shape and the case appears complete. The sale tag reads; "Berlin Gustav Reinhardt cartridge case". The case has six individual, reinforced, slots that curve, not unlike banana clip magazines. It's a complete mystery to me. Thanks in advance for your kind attention. 

- Jno Marler 

20200731_140715.jpg

20200731_140656.jpg

20200731_140608.jpg

JohnnyFrost
On 7/31/2020 at 5:46 PM, DocCollector1441 said:

Looks like a German MG13 magazine pouch to me.

Yes? I'm having trouble getting there. No matter what search engine I use or how I word the query, I'm getting nothing. Is there a picture of this somewhere online? Thank you for your input!

DocCollector1441

To be fair with you, I went looking for pictures after I posted my reply and I have cannot find an example. This was my guess based upon the general size, shape, and construction. The Berlin Gustav Reinhold make places it as some type of German equipment, whether that was made to fit some type of German weaponry or made to be used for one of the several foreign weapons that was pressed into German service. I am going to check some of my equipment reference books and see if I find something similar.

JohnnyFrost
20 hours ago, DocCollector1441 said:

To be fair with you, I went looking for pictures after I posted my reply and I have cannot find an example. This was my guess based upon the general size, shape, and construction. The Berlin Gustav Reinhold make places it as some type of German equipment, whether that was made to fit some type of German weaponry or made to be used for one of the several foreign weapons that was pressed into German service. I am going to check some of my equipment reference books and see if I find something similar.

Right on. I'm still searching on this end as well👍

Doctorofwar

A quick look in the book German Machine Guns by Daniel D Musgrave does not show a magazine carrier like this in the MG13 section.  It shows MG13 magazine pouches and boxes all carrying 8 magazines as well.  Not that this is by any means an exhaustive search or reference, as this post initially made me think MG13 too, but if it is for an MG13 I haven’t found reference of it yet. 

JohnnyFrost

No markings were immediately visible to me, and I didn't go over it at length. It's at a local shop and I'm tempted to go back and have another look-see

Jno Marler 

JohnnyFrost
4 hours ago, Doctorofwar said:

A quick look in the book German Machine Guns by Daniel D Musgrave does not show a magazine carrier like this in the MG13 section.  It shows MG13 magazine pouches and boxes all carrying 8 magazines as well.  Not that this is by any means an exhaustive search or reference, as this post initially made me think MG13 too, but if it is for an MG13 I haven’t found reference of it yet. 

Your efforts are very much appreciated. Looks like I need to return to the antique shop and investigate a bit further. Jno Marler

manayunkman

I don’t think it’s German.

It doesn’t look like typical German construction with all the brass fittings.

JohnnyFrost
1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

I don’t think it’s German.

It doesn’t look like typical German construction with all the brass fittings.

Good point. It's still a mystery. Jno Marler

Doctorofwar

Throwing out a guess- magazine pouch for Steyr-Solothurn S2-100/MG30/31.M

since many of these were exported, they could have had various non-German magazine pouches.  Magazines were similar looking to the MG13.  Solothurn 31.M was used by Hungary- pictures I’ve seen in use don’t show the mag carrier clearly however.  Variants also used by Bulgaria, Austria, Switzerland, El Salvador.

Still looking.