Red Letter S&W Victory

Ronald

Looking at a red letter (letters filled in with red paint)  US Navy VIctory model and wondered what the significance of the lettering is? Are they more collectable? Just wanted a nice example for  a contrast to my Colts. Thanks

OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK

"PROPERTY OF

U.S. NAVY"       on left frame filled with red paint is correct according to p.147 of "U.S. Handguns of World War II" by Charles W. Pate. 

Need pictures, but lettering filled in with red paint would have no influence on value, in my opinion.  US Navy marked Victory Pistols are generally worth more than the regular Victory pistols.

silverplate

The "U.S. NAVY" top-strap marked Victory revolvers were part of a contract for 65K revolvers that the Navy issued to S&W. They were all delivered in 1942. The Army also had  contracts that ran from 1942 to 1945, with total deliveries exceeding 264K. Those revolvers had "U S PROPERTY" on the top strap. Any Navy marked Victory revolver is more desirable due to the low numbers. I looked for a Victory with the red Navy property markings you describe for a long time with no luck. Since it was not a factory applied stamp, there's no telling how many exist. It appears that it was a locally-applied, unofficial property stamp. If the price isn't outrageous, I'd jump on it. I did finally add a Navy marked S&W to my collection. Nice find!

Thank you. Did not know that about the stamp. have seen the top strap mark but assume the side plate was done at the same time.

I am also going to look at a later Victory which may be more reasonable in price.

Can I PM you about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk