USMC ADAPTED FRENCH ADRIAN HELMET

kanemono

This helmet is in an auction going on now.

WORLD WAR I: USMC ADAPTED FRENCH ADRIAN HELMET.

A Type M1915 French Adrian metal helmet, with added USMC (EGA) insignia. [France: 1917-18]. A standard M1915 French Adrian helmet, with the French insignia replaced with USMC device EGA of the world surmounted by the eagle. Without the leather liner and strap. Length 11 in (280 mm), width 8 in (205 mm).

An historic and rare USMC-worn French helmet used by US Forces during the latter part of 1917 and early 1918. The first USMC forces arrived in France from the US in late June 1917, and after training, part of First Division moved up to the front to integrate with the French Forces at Toul. It was not until March 16th of 1918 that the training for the larger US Marine forces had been completed and they moved up into the Somme sector. The forces that moved up to the line at Toul did not have the American helmet available, and were given French helmets with the US insignia., and photographs of the 2nd division at Belleau Wood in 1918, also show the US Marines wearing the French Adrian helmet. By the late summer of 1918, all the US forces had been supplied with the American M1917 helmets.

WORLD WAR I: USMC ADAPTED FRENCH ADRIAN HELMET.

A Type M1915 French Adrian metal helmet, with added USMC (EGA) insignia. [France: 1917-18].

Current bid at: US$ 2,000

Ending from: 7 Aug 2020 at 12:07 EDT.

US$ 2,500 - 3,000

£ 1,900 - 2,300

helmet-A.jpg

helmet-B.jpg

photos-A.jpg

photos-B.jpg

Hmmm... So rare and historic that without some provenance I'm not sure I'd spend the money on this one.  I've always wondered if any of these were in collections that can be traced to a vet?  I've always wanted one.

I'd want to see the ghost behind the emblem, and a photo showing Marines wearing helmets with an EGA on them...since I don't actually see any EGA's in those scans