ANM2 - AIRCRAFT MG

Hi All,

The following was taken from an aircraft, which came down in the Villers-Bocage area, summer of 1944. Spent the rest of it's time in a barn. Parts are missing (shame) and nothing moves at all. However, it is still in really great condition for a barn relic.

Cheers

Allan

post-208-1232200110.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Dear all,

This what a .50 cal M2 looks like after being covered in ice for 62 years.......

The gun with the canvas cover still attached is from the nose chin turret. Still in excellent condition. Some of the

springs still in serviceable condition. This is at 4000 ft in Eyjafjallajökull glacier. This came out of a B-17 that crashed there

in 1944. All 10 men survived.

post-5556-1234660280.jpg

Hinrik Steinsson

Curator

Aviation and War history museum (project)

Thanks for your replies and comments.

This was a B-17 on a ferry flight to England in 1944. The nose art name of the B-17 was "Cloister Easy" They driffted of course and flew into the glacier at an angle so the aircraft broke into 3 parts. All 10 men of the crew survived. The crew tried to use there Gibson girl emergency radio, but eventually saw lights in the distance from a farm and deciided to climb down. This is a hard hike to climb. I could not take the guns with me because of it, so I had to rent a helecopter to get the guns and the aircrafts radio.

post-5556-1234687279.jpg

Hinrik Steinsson

Curator

Aviation and War history museum (project)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.