Opinions on WWI 6th MG Battalion Helmet

Blacksmith

I still like it too. I jumped in on the microscope thingy covered in the recent thread, and bought one through Amazon and played with it last weekend with several of my helmets. I don’t see anything on yours dramatically different to what I saw on numerous shells in my collection.

I have two or three helmets that came from Duke and several attributed. Regarding the discussion in this thread relevant to British v. US shells, I personally just don’t place a lot of emphasis on that when authenticating these helmets. It is widely known that British shells were used, but also not far fetched that a Marine on occupation duty might replace a damaged helmet when supplies came in. I guess if I had one I knew was from a Marine in say the fifth Marines who arrived early and saw action throughout  the summer of 1918, I might prefer that helmet to be a Brodie, but wouldn’t outright dismiss it if it wasn’t.  Just my two cents on that particular issue. 

I once again am still likin’ This helmet even more with the close ups of the paint. 

I'm not seeing much age once I look through the yellowing varnish and the chips that go all the way through? With recent microscope pics of old paint there was a distinctive blistering appearance along with crazing and shrinkage of the paint throughout.  And these were 25yr newer paint jobs if authentic. To me this paint is smooth and flat with some chips and weathering on top, no natural color changes to the colors - just a top weathering wash. Sorry, just not seeing anything from the microscope "thingy" shots but thanks for posting those. 

BTW, this to me is a problem with studying together random modern paint, fakes, and authentic paint on helmets. We start appreciating the effects rather than the paint so that a all paint looks "pretty good" even though the paint looks completely different from other painted helmets. To me this painted helmet is a good example of that and has nothing in common, with respect to the paint, with the other recently discussed, more contemporary painted lids. No offense intended to Blacksmith but can I be the only one here?