Opinions on WWI 6th MG Battalion Helmet

Blacksmith

Hello all, I know there are a bunch of folks here that are FAR more knowledgeable than I am on WWI painted helmets.  As such, I was hoping to get some opinions on this one.  Thank you in advance for any help.

70C17991-F199-4C11-A83E-1B60F7863781.jpeg

B8396AD7-09B2-4537-B9C5-8351027A0022.jpeg

Whats the liner and chin straps look like?

The hole punched for the EGA?

Looks like some paint loss near the top of star where EGA rubbed. Kinda like its look at first glance

19 minutes ago, doyler said:

Whats the liner and chin straps look like?

The hole punched for the EGA?

Looks like some paint loss near the top of star where EGA rubbed. Kinda like its look at first glance

Here is the liner and chinstrap, sorry, should have included that pic originally.

EGA hole is punched / rusty.

07AF90F3-2C56-432E-937F-905D8CD2E808.jpeg

41 minutes ago, Blacksmith said:

Here is the liner and chinstrap, sorry, should have included that pic originally.

EGA hole is punched / rusty.

good sign and I like that its a British pattern helmet with the split rivets... a  majority of the 2nd Division helmets I have seen ( own) and handled are Brodie Split  rivet attached straps. 

I know the US M197 exist as well but Im more use to seeing the Brit helmets when it comes to Army/USMC 2nd Div. 

At first glance I like it but looking closer the wear seems a bit odd. Just the way it's distributed. Still, other signs like the bubbling? look promising for being original. Wish I had a couple of these in the collection. Very neat piece but one of the few WW1 lids you need to be wary of unfortunately.

6 hours ago, Okie96 said:

At first glance I like it but looking closer the wear seems a bit odd. Just the way it's distributed.

The liner may provide a clue here.  It's American, but the shell is British.  Usually that combination has a heavy sand exterior finish that was applied as part of the reconditioning process.  The "wear" looks similar to other helmets I've seen where the sand finish was scraped off to provide a smooth surface. 

I sort of like what I see overall but I'd really want to give it a thorough going-over.  There's something about the method of painting the insignia that is rather unusual and gives me pause.  (doyler's helmet is painted the way I expect.)

Several things stand out to me (naturally!) though I don't specifically collect helmets. One is the wear on the right side of the helmet - as if they were stacked together. It appears that wear does not continue onto the paint. Secondly, it appears to me that there is an "antique" looking wash over the top of the paint - blue headress, face, white star, all of it. Even where the blue headdress is chipped exposing the white there is that yellowed coating. Kinda looks like the whole thing was coated at some point? Has the interior been Armor All'd? It's in excellent shape for the rusty rim. I may be off by a mile and maybe its all in the lighting or maybe an original that was coated fro protection years ago but without provenance the value would be limited a speculation.

The microscope thingy would help.

JMO,

Dave

I like this one as well. The example Doyle’s posted is the most familiar “hand” or style for this unit but of course there were several artists. I have one in my collection that is a different design from each of these shown bit I am confident it is righteous.  Of the fifteen helmets in my collection about 60 percent are British Brodie’s. If the Marine went over there early, the likelihood was higher they would get a British helmet but replacements during the summer of 1918 and those on occupation duty in 1919 that didn’t see much fighting might more likely ended up with a US helmet. This one has a number of attributes of originals and there are many signs to me that reflect it is right and I would be happy to have this in my collection. I can’t tell if it might have been shellacked at one time which was done sometimes or if it yellowed  from cigarette smoke hanging on a wall of a VFW etc. either way still looks good to me. Thanks for sharing. Kevin

4 hours ago, aef1917 said:

The liner may provide a clue here.  It's American, but the shell is British.  Usually that combination has a heavy sand exterior finish that was applied as part of the reconditioning process.  The "wear" looks similar to other helmets I've seen where the sand finish was scraped off to provide a smooth surface. 

I sort of like what I see overall but I'd really want to give it a thorough going-over.  There's something about the method of painting the insignia that is rather unusual and gives me pause.  (doyler's helmet is painted the way I expect.)

Thank you for all of the opinions everyone.  I will try and take some natural light pics and add them.

I genuinely appreciate the help.

suwanneetrader

I grew up 1938 and worked through early 1970s in N. KY and S. OH.  During that time it seemed that most every lady who loved flowers and hanging pots used a WWI US helmet for a pot or as a container for a pot.  Of course the liner and leather chin strap had been discarded and wire or light chain was attached to the metal bales with a hole or holes in the bottom (originally the top when it was in use as a helmet) so the rain water would drain out.  I believe they were used as they were so plentiful 1950-60s and mostly uncollected.  I do not believe I ever bought one of them as they were so rusted or had been repainted bright colors.  I might have thought otherwise if I had seen a Patriotic Military Motif painted one. 🤩 Richard

1 hour ago, warguy said:

If the Marine went over there early, the likelihood was higher they would get a British helmet but replacements during the summer of 1918 and those on occupation duty in 1919 that didn’t see much fighting might more likely ended up with a US helmet.

This is "collector wisdom" that is not supported by documentary evidence.  The US continued purchasing helmets from the British until 1919.  Troops shipping out were not issued helmets stateside until September 1918.  The 8th Division somehow wound up being widely equipped with British helmets despite not even starting overseas movement until October 30, 1918.

Thanks I have read otherwise and certainly the identified helmets in my collection seem to attest to Marines over there in 1917 and early in 18 having the British helmets. Appreciate the correction, I cannot remember where I read it. 

In candor, I have been slow to cotton on to the microscope idea - borderline denouncing it to-date.  That said, times they are a-changin’ in the hobby and standard folks look for.  While less than perfect, I have a pocket microscope that I shot pics through with my phone.  Here are some.  Starting with a couple of indirect natural light shots.

A79126DF-2B57-400F-B792-9F621B25BFDA.jpeg

B6F3BCED-D914-42F9-B24A-A93E27CE0479.jpeg

I still like what I see. 👍 Where's Duke?

If possible, can you post a picture of the backside (inside of shell) of the punched-in hole for EGA? Can you see a name or initials anywhere inside the helmet, or written on the chinstrap?

Chuck