Info on silver star, box has no name

Phantomf4

Hello, i picked this up today, box has no name on it, is this common? Medal is not named but is numbered. I'm guessing 30's era?

003.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

The SS was made by BB&B and a nice find.  An untitled case is an early one (for the case experts, please chime in).  There is a three-part SS listing of attributed numbers (Planchet Press) which I have but can't get to right now.  Maybe someone on the Forum can supply.  As to when the medal was made, I think you're correct -- 30's.  Again, someone on here will know the contract date.  You will find medals like yours awarded in WWII as well.

So is the case pretty uncommon? I know i've never seen one, but then again there's alot of stuff i haven't seen. LOL

dhcoleterracina

Yes, uncommon (compared to the plethora of some boxes) and early. I've seen other types of medals in these cases too. Earlier still are the boxes that have a mother of pearl button to open. Occasionally some bozo will remove the lettering to get more money for an untitled box. Those can be spotted quick enough. Yours looks good.

Ok thanks, great info, any idea what something like this is worth? I may sell it because i bought some WW1 purple hearts and thought maybe this one came with one of the purple hearts, there was a ribbon bar with the PH and the SS but i don't believe this actual SS goes with the group.

Here's the lot, The ribbon bar with the SS i thought might go with the victory medal with 5 clasp's and one of the purple hearts, but i don't think it does.

012.JPG

Brian Dentino
14 hours ago, Phantomf4 said:

Here's the lot, The ribbon bar with the SS i thought might go with the victory medal with 5 clasp's and one of the purple hearts, but i don't think it does.

012.JPG

Not so sure about your assumption.  The SS certainly could be the SS that would go with the ribbon bar.  Perhaps his Mexican Campaign ribbon was lost somewhere through the years but I think that it is ENTIRELY possible that your SS, one of the PH's, and the VM could all belong together.  I assume you found them all at the same time/place?  I would wait until you have a chance to get the ID on the SS then you can further your research.  You may be able to pull the man's file and find that it confirms the correct PH for the grouping as well.

manayunkman

The PHs are not engraved?

The group sure looks like it belongs together.

Can you do a close up of the 2 medals to the left front and back please?

The purple hearts are engraved and numbered, but they are for 2 different guys, one was in the 5th FA, the other in 307th, and 4th infantry regiments. Neither was in the 28th but maybe one of them was in all these campaigns. I thought all WW1 SS where named?

Looks like a nice, early WW2 issue BB&B Silver Star in an untitled case.

The number isn't traceable according to this pinned thread: 

However, if you want to contact the poster, he may have a more updated list with the numbers on it.

Dave

1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

Either of them SS recipients?

I don't know about them being silver star recipients, the paper work i have don't mention ss. i'll post pictures of everything in a few hours.

Didn't know if i should start a new thread but i figured we where talking about it here so why not, here they are, maybe you guys can make heads or tails out of it.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG