“Extraordinary Heroism” in Italy

GIKyle

Valor trio and replacement set to a 27th Field Artillery Forward Observer with the 1st Armored Division.  His DSC action was in Italy but until the Archives reopen we won’t know the details.  His Purple Heart is numbered in the traceable range that traced to a January 1944 Field Hospital General Order - his first wound.  The second looks to have knocked him out of the war, as his DSC was awarded in the hospital.  The GO for his Silver Star is currently unknown but hopefully his name resides in Wiegand’s Index to the GOs if I can get my hands on a 1st Armored Division copy. 

Also present is a replacement set of medals, all engraved to the vet.  This came from a picker, who was close by so we met and chatted about how he came about the medals.  In discussion, he realized that he likely got the set from the vet’s stepson who remarked upon selling the medals “these don’t mean much to me.”  The picker helped me track down an address to see if any photos or paper still exist.  We shall see.

31A0EB19-C826-44D3-9899-BE514C66A3DC.jpeg

B381061F-712D-435B-BCAD-88F9460679CE.jpeg

0B890F29-1906-43E7-9DBF-CCFAF9BA05A1.jpeg

CD7E8263-7FD8-488D-8470-F24B4988596E.jpeg

94E4AC03-F3BA-4401-9BB5-50C6D9CC71AE.jpeg

673B1F0A-8153-4019-BFBA-2E6BB44BE6ED.jpeg

A2F5EC7E-9DC4-49B7-BBDA-415C35481241.jpeg

Bill_Carman

Based on Planchets Press publication 'Army Silver Star Awards for WW2' volume 2,  the GO for the SSM is General Order 71,  1944,  1st Armored Division.

Bill_Carman

From the Home of Heroes website regarding the DSC awarded to ARTHUR L. LEAHY
Synopsis:
The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Arthur L. Leahey, First Lieutenant (Field Artillery), U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy in action against enemy forces from 28 May 1944 to 2 June 1944. First Lieutenant Leahey's intrepid actions, personal bravery and zealous devotion to duty exemplify the highest traditions of the military forces of the United States and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.
Headquarters, Fifth U.S. Army, General Orders No. 133 (August 8, 1944)

1 hour ago, Bill_Carman said:

Based on Planchets Press publication 'Army Silver Star Awards for WW2' volume 2,  the GO for the SSM is General Order 71,  1944,  1st Armored Division.

Thanks so much, Bill!

CNY Militaria

This looks like a great research project once the Archives reopen! Keep us posted.

1 hour ago, CNY Militaria said:

This looks like a great research project once the Archives reopen! Keep us posted.

Absolutely!  That day cannot come soon enough, either.  

• 11 months later...
manayunkman

I concur!

Anything New to report?

We all need a picker like that.

So help me with the math, you have 2 of each medal?

• 2 weeks later...

Correct- two of each medal.  The named, wrap brooch DSC, BBB Silver Star, and numbered PH were those issued to the vet; the other three were issued as replacements and are engraved.  Interestingly enough, both the replacement Silver Star and PH are slot brooch, while the DSC is a crimp brooch.  I suspect all were reissued at the same time.  

Nothing new to report- with all archives closed at the moment there’s not much research to be had.

• 1 year later...

Finally!  NARA II delivers: 

Silver Star:

"For gallantry in action on 7 January 1944 near **** Italy. As Lieutenant Leahy and his section moved toward *** he saw a group of aid men who were injured when they hit a mine.  The explosion drew heavy artillery and small arms fire.  Without hesitation and with total disregard for his own safety, Lieutenant Leahy ran to the assistance of the wounded men, though in doing so he had to go through an area strewn with mines and under heavy enemy fire.  As they were dressing the wounded, a shell exploded near by striking Lieutenant Leahy in the stomach and wounding his radio operator.  Lieutenant Leahy disregarding his own wounds, went to the assistance of his radio operator, rendering first aid.  When litters finally arrived, Lieutenant Leahy refused to occupy one but gave them to the injured men.  Holding a bandage over his wound, he encouraged the tired litter bearers to push on to the aid station without a stop, in a vain but gallant attempt to save his radio operator's life.  The courage, fine leadership and interest in the welfare of the wounded displayed by Lieutenant Leahy are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and deserving of high praise."

Distinguished Service Cross:

"For extraordinary heroism in action near Gampoleone, Italy, from 28 May to 2 June 1944.  As battalion forward observer First Lieutenant LEANY accompanied the infantry assault company in an attack.  When the advance met strong enemy resistance, he ran through heavy small arms fire and climbed a tree to adjust fire.  Forced to abandon the tree when discovered by the enemy, he returned to a ditch from which he placed effective concentrations on enemy strongpoints, reducing them to allow the infantry to proceed.  The advance was halted again by a terrific barrage.  First Lieutenant LEAHY rallied the troops, and exposed to heavy enemy artillery, mortar and small arms fire, organized a defensive line which withstood numerous German attacks throughout the night.  The following morning, caught between enemy machine gun and friendly tank fire, he crawled forward to a point of observation and reduced the machine guns with artillery fire.  His two radio men were wounded during this action and after rendering first aid, First Lieutenant LEAHY carried them to the rear.  Picking up a new radio, he rejoined the assault company.  The following day he ran through heavy enemy fire to a house fifty yards forward of the front lines to make adjustments.  A direct hit by an enemy shell threw him from the house and wounded his radio operator.  Acquiring another assistant, he returned to the house to observe from the top floor.  Another direct hit knocked him downstairs and killed his operator.  Undaunted, First Lieutenant LEAHY returned to the rear, secured a new assistant and continued his mission.  Two days later, while moving forward to establish an observation post, he was wounded by sniper fire and evacuated.  The indomitable courage displayed by First Lieutenant LEAHY exemplifies the finest traditions of the Armed Forces."

Kyle,

I missed this thread the first time around. However, seeing such a fantastic find on this outstanding soldier's short but impactful career is excellent. Great group of medals to a true HERO. Thank you for posting and providing a follow-up so that I see it now.
Did you get the LT's Silver Star Citation orders through NARA's St. Louis or Maryland office?
Thanks! & Best regards,

John

Thanks, all!  The first DSC is numbered.  

The citations came from NARA II College Park.  It was well worth the time and money to get them as they both illustrate the heroism displayed by this brave artillerymen.