M1 Helmet Books

CWG

Hello all, I am in the market for a good book about M1 helmets. I have heard good things about Pieter Oosterman's book, Helmets of the ETO, and Steel Pots by Chris Armold. I would like to know for the people that own a copy of these what they think about them and which are the best, I have read that Mr. Armolds book is very detail oriented and I'm considering picking that one up but I would like to know more about the others. Thank you.

I have both, and agree both are excellent.  I’d have a hard time picking one over the other.  Perhaps Helmets of the ETO first as I found it to be a little easier to take in as I was getting the basics down.  Can’t go wrong either way.

For post-war M1s, about the only choice is Mark Reynosa's book "Post-World War II M-1 Helmets: An Illustrated Study (Schiffer Military History)". 

If you are interested in a DVD of "Steel Pots" narrated by Chris Armold, let me know. I have access to a few copies available for a donation to our local military museum. 

Pieter Oostermans Book is excellent! 

Great detailed pictures and they are always shown after somewhat about the helmet was explained. 

I learned a lot out of it. 

Blueprint

If you're really into helmets the answer on those is yes. Oosterman's book is the most comprehensive but still easy to understand but they each have information not included in their counterparts. A profit conspiracy to be sure!😉 I have Steel pots II but have not added vol one to the library yet. Helmets of the ETO has more examples than anything, but good color photographs that are useful and production information not laid out so much in Oosterman's work. Mark Reynosa's WW2 helmets book was my first and is excellent providing more information than either on the development of the M1 but as far as collecting goes I don't think you'll be missing anything if you have The M1 Helmet and Helmets of the ETO as your main books. If you only have one then get The M1 Helmet by Oosterman but get the updated second version with the mannequin on front. The earlier ones are floating around of course. 

17 minutes ago, Okie96 said:

If you're really into helmets the answer on those is yes. Oosterman's book is the most comprehensive but still easy to understand but they each have information not included in their counterparts. A profit conspiracy to be sure!😉 I have Steel pots II but have not added vol one to the library yet. Helmets of the ETO has more examples than anything, but good color photographs that are useful and production information not laid out so much in Oosterman's work. Mark Reynosa's WW2 helmets book was my first and is excellent providing more information than either on the development of the M1 but as far as collecting goes I don't think you'll be missing anything if you have The M1 Helmet and Helmets of the ETO as your main books. If you only have one then get The M1 Helmet by Oosterman but get the updated second version with the mannequin on front. The earlier ones are floating around of course. 

Thanks for the insight! I just found that I actually own Helmets of the ETO and I have just ordered the M1 book by Pieter Oosterman the most recent one. The M1 book was hiding in my closet and I just totally blanked that I even had it in the first place if I recall I got it from a thrift shop and just forgot about it. Anyhow I’m excited to read and learn more about the M1. I read Marks paper on the early production of the M1 and how the lot and lift numbers were assigned to the lids and such. I’ll most likely also make a donation to MattS museum and pick up a DVD copy of Steel Pots. Although I found a hard copy at a local book store. That way I can donate to a great museum and pick up more material to study. Maybe one day I’ll complete my set and pick up Marks book. The more the merrier they say 😂!

Indeed! I can't believe you found the ETO book at a thrift store. The only place I've seen reference books for sale are shows. You never know till you look. I find good stuff but usually not military and not WW2 vintage. Glad you've got it though.

Indeed! I can't believe you found the ETO book at a thrift store. The only place I've seen reference books for sale are shows. You never know till you look. I find good stuff but usually not military and not WW2 vintage. Glad you've got it though.

I’ll be sitting on a stock pile of M1 knowledge so that when the time is right I’ll be able to pick up a few nice sets! Thanks again everyone for the suggestions and for having these conversations this really is what the forum is about.