1951 C97 Cockpit Seat

opus5150

I was told that this came from a C97, but the jury will always be out on that one.  This type of seat was used in more than one type of AC, and the numbers search from the data tag never really gave me a concrete answer.

Anyway...  It's my current quarantine office chair, very comfortable, and retains all the tilt and slide levers for fine-tuning.  The cushions are eBay replacements, as the originals were pretty far gone.  Enjoy!

IMG_2194.jpg.328d16b83b77c85f9c62b9177859fd1a.jpgIMG_2201.jpg.e4c86ab40ed8b6cbefa46d306862bbd4.jpgIMG_2202.jpg.f8ffce1610f23ecb6873949d5d75ef6d.jpg

phantomfixer

Opus,

Here are the seats from the KC-97 at the AMC museum, form their website...judging from the headrest brackets and armrests, it is likely your seat shares the same PN and could have came from C-97/KC-97

Nice seat..the cushion is cool

97.jpg

kc97.jpg

Doctorofwar

Since the C-97/KC-97 was based on the B-29/B-50 could this seat have come from one of them too?  Can’t find a good pic to post, but the ones I have seen looked like your seat.

phantomfixer

Hey Doc,

here is a poor shot of the B-50 seat...but notice the black bracket on the seat pan...and the armrest supports...B-50.jpg.b29fcb87bcfbac930d9b745c7d8e1b92.jpg

Thanks for the replies!  I am leaning toward the C97 seat - the armrests and headrest are very similar.  Mine does have a perforated back, and some other differences that do give me a little hesitation as to its pedigree.  The data plate states a 1/20/1950 manufacture date - so definitely within the realm of the Boeing C97.  IMG_2203_copy.jpg.5f978dacdba04f4dd4ae4d6e81e4ba79.jpg

Please forgive the dust, it's the maids day off....

For a seat, would they put the aircraft manufacturer as the customer or USAF since they would be the end user and use their TMs/TOs to look up parts vs a Boeing IPM?   This says BAC as the customer which Id assume Boeing Airplane Company?   My first thought when seeing BAC is British Aerospace Company but Id doubt they would use a US made seat.   It might be a seat from an old Boeing stratocruiser etc.

During that period, the Air Force bought a lot of items "lock & key" complete.  I don't specifically know about seats, but I have pubs that say survival kits will be furnished by the contractor.  These kits were supplied complete and packed with gear specified by the Air Force up to and including including M-4 survival rifles.  From this, it isn't too much of a stretch to think Boeing had the contract to supply the complete aircraft, Boeing contracted Webber for the seats,  ergo,  Boeing is the customer,  not the Air Force...