Question on practicality of repairing a broken FB M1

MattS

I picked up a late 1943 (by the lot number) front seam, fixed loop M1 shell with both loops broken off and only the feet remaining. Shell seems to have original paint and came with a somewhat ratty P55 liner (1955-1963) that I've since repaired (torn strap, no tie, missing nape strap and sweatband) for $20. My questions are about the current thoughts on repairing broken fixed loops.

Does it improve or hurt the value (which in this case is minimal).

Will more damage be done trying to remove the feet and rewelding new loops on than it's worth? I have no welding equipment and would have to have someone do this.

And what's the cost to do something like this, has anyone done it recently? I know Josh Murray used to offer this service, not sure he still does. 

Is it worth it to do?

I know it comes down to, "it's your helmet, do what you want with it", just looking for current opinions on the subject. Thanks! 

I repair my own helmets as technically there's not a lot to them.

I can't comment on the value whether it decreases it but as you would know most helmet collectors are purists and don't like them to be cleaned.

Saying that i can't live with a post war damaged pot so i do what i can to conserve and repair.

The feet will need to be removed, I'd remove them slowly with a dremel and cutting discs as I have done similar before. By doing this you will also be preparing the surface for new welds.

Don't weld unless you have the experience as a novice will blow a hole quite easily in a helmet.

The cost of re-welding would be minimal as it's not a difficult job and not time consuming. There are a lot of good welders in the bicycle field where they need to repair finer things.

I hope that helps somewhat.

Thanks for the comment! I agree, most collectors don't want a repaired helmet, but it looks sad to me without straps on it. 

And no worries, I most definitely won't be welding on anything.

The Rooster

It is possible that someone removed them during the war out in the field.

Possibility? Welding will ruin the paint.

What are your plans for the helmet?

I would really only say it's worth it if you want something for reenactment and/or you got the set really cheap and adding bails/chinstraps can be done for a few bucks.

I don't think you'd really be hurting the value since a M1 without its bails is not really worth a whole ton. My only concern would be someone down the line representing it as all original.

If you don't have much into the shell and it's got good, original paint it maybe it's worth it, but personally I would rather have a shell no bails rather than one that has been fixed.

All good questions. They could have broken off in the field in WW2, or last week. No way of knowing.

I don't have any plans for this helmet, just weighing options right now. Here's what I have to work with.

M1 broke 1.jpg

M1 broke 2.jpg

M1 broke 3.jpg

44 minutes ago, Nickman983 said:

I would really only say it's worth it if you want something for reenactment and/or you got the set really cheap and adding bails/chinstraps can be done for a few bucks.

I'm into it for $20 right now, and I repaired the liner using parts I had on hand (that maybe cost another $5). 

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

You will need to clean up the area around the feet, which will require removing some of the paint, and the heat will burn the pant on the back (outside) of the shell, so it will probably require at least a touch-up 

I vote leave it alone. Very possibly damaged in the field. 

Most soldiers didn’t use the chin strap anyway. 

9 minutes ago, gap said:

I vote leave it alone. Very possibly damaged in the field. 

Most soldiers didn’t use the chin strap anyway. 

One vote for leave it alone, thanks! 

An item is only original once.  However the bales were broken off is part of its history.  I wouldn’t try to reverse that.

And as others have said, it will look like a repair job anyway.

I’d leave it.

30 minutes ago, Blacksmith said:

An item is only original once.  However the bales were broken off is part of its history.  I wouldn’t try to reverse that.

And as others have said, it will look like a repair job anyway.

I’d leave it.

Very valid point, thanks! 

BILL THE PATCH

I have a fixed loop
That was turned into a flower pot, that also is the history of the pot. But I decided to erase that history, so either bring it back to it's former glory or leave it.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

I have a fixed loop
That was turned into a flower pot, that also is the history of the pot. But I decided to erase that history, so either bring it back to it's former glory or leave it.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Wow...  that’s deep...

It being turned into a flower pot changes its function.  Matt’s helmet is still a helmet.  

I can see both sides Matt, but personally I would leave it alone since like others have pointed out, it's part of its history. So by adding you could be taking away  :)

1 hour ago, jmd62 said:

I can see both sides Matt, but personally I would leave it alone since like others have pointed out, it's part of its history. So by adding you could be taking away  :)

I think you're right. If this had been painted purple and made into a planter, I could see restoring it. I think I'll leave it as is, the damage is part of its history. Maybe put a net over it and add a liner strap. Thanks for the comments, really helped me decide to just leave it alone and "first, do no harm" as they say. 

10 hours ago, MattS said:

The P55 liner that came with it, one strap repaired and repro sweatband (ATF $6.99) and liner strap (ATF $14.99) installed.

M1 broke 5.jpg

You can get the chinstraps, and bales from J Murray for about $25-35 bucks in total and get the job done yourself, or you could have J Murray do it for you. If I wanted a nice complete display lid and I have already added the other parts to the liner I would just go all in and get the bales done. However its really up to you and  what you want to do with your lid, either way it looks great!

Thanks! I decided that if I assume the bales were broken off in wartime service, it's a war-damaged shell and I should just leave it alone. It's an assumption I can't prove though!