medic m1 helmet for review

shadawg

Painted helmets are very desirable, and as such are an absolute "minefield" for us collectors.  There are MANY fakes out there for every original, and originals fetch big bucks hence the many fakes.  It's very common for sellers to absolutely believe what they have is real when in fact it's not.   With painted lids, it's guilty (fake) until proven innocent (potentially original).

As I said earlier, it's not personal.  Skepticism is necessary on this topic.  Sorry for any bad manners.

I think it's fair to question the authenticity of these helmets. Unfortunately painted helmets are very much a target for fakers and, as members here have found in the past, just because an item comes from a seemingly reputable individual does not mean that the item is guaranteed to be original so a healthy amount of skepticism is needed.

The only way to prove whether or not these helmets are original would be an extensive inspection and unfortunately they only thing that most of the members here have to work off of in this case is the limited pictures of each helmet. Based on what's been posted and what we can see I think the medic helmet has a shot at being real and the 88th is hard to tell for certain without being able to study it in hand.

The source of the 88th isn't exactly a confidence booster for me, it seems the majority of the items being offered are reproductions rather than originals. From a quick search of the 19,985 items being offered for sale on eBay, 16373 are listed as being reproduction and 1260 are listed as being original. There's nothing wrong with making a business off of selling reproductions but if i'm looking to buy an original painted helmet I would prefer to work with a dealer who specializes in quality original pieces.

1 hour ago, WWMilitaria said:

If you aren't an expert that's been doing this for many many years, just shut up. Stop placing doubts in peoples heads just cause you feel you are right and the world is wrong. At least for helmets this forum tells you nothing and shouldn't be used in anyway. 

Even "experts" can fall victim to fakes, see the incident in the German collecting world with the Champagne SS helmets.

This thing has become a perpetual ball bouncing from one side to the other with no end in sight. Opinion has replaced knowledge and educated discussion. Suspicion and speculation have replaced fact. Finally, watching seasoned members jumping on new members like rabid dogs, is not acceptable nor the way we do stuff here. There are three of you here who have managed to get the attention of the staff, this never a good thing.

I am closing this thread. Unless someone can give me a SOLID reason to reopen this thread, it will remain closed.