medic m1 helmet for review

shadawg

It’s no easier for a seller to authenticate than it is for a buyer.  A return policy makes a very big difference in my willingness to bid.  Some people are more comfortable gambling, some less.  

As someone who has sold 100% original items on eBay only to have them returned for "not appearing authentic", I totally understand the 'no returns' policy.

Basically it comes down to, 'if you aren't sure, don't bid', or as has been stated on here a million times, caveat emptor. 

4 minutes ago, MattS said:

As someone who has sold 100% original items on eBay only to have them returned for "not appearing authentic", I totally understand the 'no returns' policy.

Basically it comes down to, 'if you aren't sure, don't bid', or as has been stated on here a million times, caveat emptor. 

Yes, that’s totally fair.  At the same time, and particularly when in item maybe more less in question (like any painted helmet), a return policy =‘s in hand inspection.  No return policy =‘s gamble based on the pictures in the listing.  

The seller and friend pulling the listing  because this thread raised questions, and then relisting after it got some more favorable input here makes me all the more reluctant without a return policy.  That’s all I’m saying.  You are right, caveat emptor.

trinitykitty24
4 hours ago, john k said:

Looks like we just "got played".   

This thread will sell the helmet, sounds like the seller won't stand behind any originality, no gaurentee on a helmet that needs in hand inspection.  No bid here thank you. 

How did you get played? I really would like to know. Got lots of messages to relist because people believe after the close up pics that’s it’s original paint. It is relisted with a different description that says that it is believed to be original paint and that if the buyer doesn’t think so they can return it. Looks like you are just trying to start something. 

8 minutes ago, trinitykitty24 said:

How did you get played? I really would like to know. Got lots of messages to relist because people believe after the close up pics that’s it’s original paint. It is relisted with a different description that says that it is believed to be original paint and that if the buyer doesn’t think so they can return it. Looks like you are just trying to start something. 

And I think that's totally fair (as I suggested several posts ago), best of luck in the sale, looks like it will do will! 

It just looks shady to me without the suggested return policy.  This is the internet, nothing personal.  I would consider bidding quite a bit if there was a solid (ebay valid) return policy.  (ie, I would feel MUCH better as a potential buyer, and you might just get a much better price as the seller). 

Again, nothing personal.  We have had people use and exploit this forum  in the past to aid in sales on ebay / other sites. 

trinitykitty24
11 minutes ago, john k said:

It just looks shady to me without the suggested return policy.  This is the internet, nothing personal.  I would consider bidding quite a bit if there was a solid (ebay valid) return policy.  (ie, I would feel MUCH better as a potential buyer, and you might just get a much better price as the seller). 

Again, nothing personal.  We have had people use and exploit this forum  in the past to aid in sales on ebay / other sites. 

Honestly forgot to change that part in the listing since the return policy has never been changed to accept returns before. There are bids and it won’t let me change it now. It is stated in the description and eBay heavily sides with the buyer so I don’t see a problem. If people are not comfortable they don’t have to bid. 

Perfectly fair.  I'm cynical first and trusting second. 

I said what I said and can't take it back.  Good luck with the sale.

trinitykitty24
4 minutes ago, john k said:

Perfectly fair.  I'm cynical first and trusting second. 

I said what I said and can't take it back.  Good luck with the sale.

Thank you. I would not want to screw someone else just as I would not want to get screwed my self. 

The Rooster

I dont accept returns on anything I sell. I list it accurately and include as many Pictures as possible.

Ive had nothing that anyone has tried to return.

But I dont make any wild claims either. I list thigs as accurately as possible.

I think the seller has a nice lid and  hope they do good on it.

I could go on ebay right now and find many helmets much more questionable than this one.

And no body is starting a thread and complaining about those.

Exactly Rooster, just provide great, detailed photographs and an accurate listing. That way there is really no reason why the buyer should suddenly doubt his/her purchase then want to return the item. 

The Rooster

"If buyer is not pleased within 7 days of receiving, it can be returned and refunded if returned in same condition. Buyer pays for returned shipping."

That appears to be fair to me.

2 hours ago, anton67 said:

Looks like Shawdag got a great deal on this one but let it get away.

Potentially, however I wasn't planning on purchasing this helmet, I had purchased a different one from the same seller. Questions had been raised, and this one merely needed more eyes on it 

Although in fairness they all have opinions just like everyone else.

I would have wanted it for $250.

$475 is getting high for a one panel swivel loop Medic helmet IMHO.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Unfortunately for those who paid JK, or anyone, authentic market value were left holding hot potatoes. $450 is about right for one of unknown history/provenance but that isn't proven a fake (IMO) and a fair amount for recovery of what amounts to a reenactors helmet.

To clarify, Was there not a numbered medic helmet that came from JK to one of the members? Perhaps I misunderstood earlier when this thread became JK-centric but if such a rare combo of paint came from him at any point it places any #1,2, or 3 medic helmet into suspicion IMO.

Back to beat a dead horse. Did anyone bother checking the link of the "credible collector" provided by the eBay seller of this helmet (Brian, right?)? I realize he says this is not where the medic helmet came from but rather that's where his now sold 88th and bizarre 29th medic helmet(my posted screen shot) came from - a credible collector of 50 yrs? I admit I didn't and maybe that would have shaped our earlier discussion.

Check out this respected collector's site:

https://www.nchsinc.com/aboutus.asp

Brian, Dude! Why would you even post that? It's all admitted reproductions! "OD cut-edge cotton white tongue 101st patch 'made on WWII style machines'", etc. I didn't see anything on that site that even claimed to be authentic. This lights me up. Business of selling reproductions meant to be comparable to originals, consulting and supplying museums and the movie industry, etc. yet "the helmets he's sold are authentic period painted ones - I promise." Unreal. Then again did Brian ever claim those he sold were period painted helmets or just that he got them from a seasoned collector? That's one way to feign ignorance of any untoward activity.

Apologies to Trinitykitty24 and other members for dragging this on but if Brian thinks he scored painted helmets from this guy based on a perceived rep, he needs to look deeper or admit to his knowledge of the obvious. And now he has sold one or two to members here? Shameful.

Again, it's not about this medic shell, which has no better story IMO, but this type of stuff deserves to be looked at by optimistic helmet collectors. I have nothing against George Peterson or his business but when it is intermingled with the sale of supposedly authentic M-1s that come under scrutiny it becomes quite telling.

It's getting to be where sellers are almost admitting questionable sources and others are still saying "Looks good to me."  Pretty soon there will be spilled cans of red and white paint in the background and well here, "I see nothing wrong with this helmet."

I would go so far as suggesting Shadawg call Peterson and ask about the 88th helmet sold to Brian in Mn or wherever. See what he says. This might unravel yet.

27 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

Back to beat a dead horse. Did anyone bother checking the link of the "credible collector" provided by the eBay seller of this helmet (Brian, right?)? I realize he says this is not where the medic helmet came from but rather that's where his now sold 88th and bizarre 29th medic helmet(my posted screen shot) came from - a credible collector of 50 yrs? I admit I didn't and maybe that would have shaped our earlier discussion.

Check out this respected collector's site:

https://www.nchsinc.com/aboutus.asp

Brian, Dude! Why would you even post that? It's all admitted reproductions! "OD cut-edge cotton white tongue 101st patch 'made on WWII style machines'", etc. I didn't see anything on that site that even claimed to be authentic. This lights me up. Business of selling reproductions meant to be comparable to originals, consulting and supplying museums and the movie industry, etc. yet "the helmets he's sold are authentic period painted ones - I promise." Unreal. Then again did Brian ever claim those he sold were period painted helmets or just that he got them from a seasoned collector? That's one way to feign ignorance of any untoward activity.

Apologies to Trinitykitty24 and other members for dragging this on but if Brian thinks he scored painted helmets from this guy based on a perceived rep, he needs to look deeper or admit to his knowledge of the obvious. And now he has sold one or two to members here? Shameful.

Again, it's not about this medic shell, which has no better story IMO, but this type of stuff deserves to be looked at by optimistic helmet collectors. I have nothing against George Peterson or his business but when it is intermingled with the sale of supposedly authentic M-1s that come under scrutiny it becomes quite telling.

It's getting to be where sellers are almost admitting questionable sources and others are still saying "Looks good to me."  Pretty soon there will be spilled cans of red and white paint in the background and well here, "I see nothing wrong with this helmet."

I would go so far as suggesting Shadawg call Peterson and ask about the 88th helmet sold to Brian in Mn or wherever. See what he says. This might unravel yet.

indeed, i still want to verify the full line of custody no matter what the opinions are on either helmet

WWMilitaria
2 hours ago, dmar836 said:

Brian, Dude! Why would you even post that? It's all admitted reproductions! "OD cut-edge cotton white tongue 101st patch 'made on WWII style machines'", etc. I didn't see anything on that site that even claimed to be authentic.

You obviously didn't read everything or look up the NCHS ebay store. They can make reproductions but as you can see in the photo below when I search the web page for "reproduction" or "replicas" those words don't come up. They make reproductions but also sell a lot original items (mostly on eBay). He buys items from collections, veterans, museums etc etc. If your going to trash talk, read. He's been cited in books for his knowledge etc etc. 

I'm done commenting on here as "opinions" seem to actually be peoples outreach to say "tell me I'm right and validate me". If trash talk is all anyone has to say, then good for you.

No one has given definitive proof to any claims. If you don't want to bid, don't. If you don't trust it, don't. In the end only the person buying needs to be happy. If they aren't they can return it. Shadawg felt he had an amazing lid then came on here and feels like garbage because of the "opinions" of everyone.

If you aren't an expert that's been doing this for many many years, just shut up. Stop placing doubts in peoples heads just cause you feel you are right and the world is wrong. At least for helmets this forum tells you nothing and shouldn't be used in anyway. 

Thanks for all the opinions.

Screenshot_20200807-180218_Chrome.jpg

Brian,

Welcome to this forum. You respond as if being attacked. Answers to some of the questions would solve that.

This is a collectors community where we protect each other through analysis and study of such things as you sold. There has hardly been trash talk. All talk that is controversial to you could easily be explained by you rather than responding so angrily while yet responding dismissively to the things in question.

Dodging every question on this thread and apparently through the PMs from Trinity are not helping nor is saying things like "just shut up." 

If you would like to discuss the source and what was told you about the 88th and the 29th medic in your avatar, this is a good place. If you feel it is noones business but yours and the buyer that's not the way the world works anymore. These items effect us all and the future of our hobby.

Dave

WWMilitaria
21 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

Brian,

Welcome to this forum. You respond as if being attacked. Answers to some of the questions would solve that.

This is a collectors community where we protect each other through analysis and study of such things as you sold. There has hardly been trash talk. All talk that is controversial to you could easily be explained by you rather than responding so angrily while yet responding dismissively to the things in question.

Dodging every question on this thread and apparently through the PMs from Trinity are not helping nor is saying things like "just shut up." 

If you would like to discuss the source and what was told you about the 88th and the 29th medic in your avatar, this is a good place. If you feel it is noones business but yours and the buyer that's not the way the world works anymore. These items effect us all and the future of our hobby.

Dave

Got it Dave! Thanks for your comment. Guess I'll keep dodging. Told you where I bought it, and told you what I know. I would love to see these lines of custody that apparently travel with all the "real" helmets. Each time I bring up fact it is dismissed and a new reason of doubt is brought up. Its a no win battle.

You can be right and keep being the keyboard warrior here. Thanks for everything, appreciate people like you in the world.