medic m1 helmet for review

shadawg

Since the helmet was pulled and every picture even the one with the cat show the medic cross and the 1 at an angle, is there anyway possible to see a straight on shot of both.

marty

1 hour ago, Bugme said:

Too many opinions, too little solid evidence to support fake or real. Put is back up for sale, give a money back guarantee and let the bidders decide. I don't think a disclaimer is needed. It's  really quite simple.

Agreed.

At the start this thread seemed to be focused more on whether or not the seller was JKash than if the helmet was legit. I don't think I've seen anyone discuss what about the helmets makes them fake outside of possible connections to JKash.

From what we can see in the photos provided I don't see anything that would make me jump to the conclusion that they're definitely fake. Better/more/the right pictures would help but having these helmets in hand would be key.

I say relist and offer returns if the buyer pays shipping.

trinitykitty24
1 hour ago, 644td said:

Since the helmet was pulled and every picture even the one with the cat show the medic cross and the 1 at an angle, is there anyway possible to see a straight on shot of both.

marty

This is the last thing I will be posting about this, thanks again to all who tried to help. 

D66D4020-81E3-4F99-BFFB-4D7A16FA477A.jpeg

93F85421-C812-42E4-81B6-DF9897D8ADD7.jpeg

538BD647-94FB-4BC2-B4AF-95BD619872D2.jpeg

2B73818E-6DBE-4737-A15C-918BFAC9C2B2.jpeg

I really want to thank all the forum members out there for all the help, and to brian at wwmilitaria, thank you again for reaching out to me personally as well. Again, I do apologize that this had created an entire issue. The helmet looked good to me, and I had gotten spooked from what opinions that previous collectors that had been burned before, and it made me go back and forth, but got mixed up, and lost some of my intuition. I'm keeping the 88th, and for what it is worth, the medic helmet, for which I started this topic, looks a lot better in the more natural lighting. I have come to my conclusion, and I think I'm ready to accept that sometimes, there is just very weird coincidence. I am still going to be doing an extensive overview, and would like others to see it in hand at some point. Thank you again to the forum, and thank you again,brian, and my apologies that this went the way it did.

Now I am really liking the medic after seeing those new pics.! Thanks for posting them, it confirms a lot.

Looks like crazing on the cross. I have had many hobbies, many involving painting. If you apply lacquer over enamel it can craze and does strange stuff. It’s one of the big no-nos to look for in older restorations. Could be a coincidence but still doesn’t look like the aging we have seen in other member’s pics. I would want to know where this kid came from. The seller and her husband appear to have been involved in the re-enactment community. Great job there for sure but often there is a different mentality between collectors and reenactors. Many crossovers and similarities but I have and do know some along with vehicle collectors and finishing an impression goes outside of what a collector would allow in his collection room. This type of helmet would not be something brought to such events for an “impression” - it would simply be too valuable to keep an eye on. My wife certainly knows when I lay down that kind of money so it should have some story. That and the bigger fact the only other place I have seen the numbered medic M-1s is from a known faker. If her husband collected such high end items we would likely have seen them on USMF from him, or from someone that wasn’t brand new to the site. No one has pointed a finger but these are most unlikely sounding circumstances and unfortunately have put the burden of proof on the sellers. 

The surrounding story here requires sympathy but the helmet in question requires history and closer inspection. 

Dave

ArchangelDM
16 hours ago, shadawg said:

DSC05024.JPG

DSC05025.JPG

I don’t like the insignia on this, bright, no age to it. Closer pics of it make it really stand out. Intentionally sloppy in my opinion, also scratches to the right of it with blue in them ? 

I'm wondering if the 88th is touched up. I'd agree that the top most layer of paint looks very bright but I like what I see under it. To me the 88th looks to have been painted 3 times.

I'm wondering if the 3rd time was either a period touch up shortly before it was stored in good conditions or potentially by the vet/his family to "preserve" the aging helmet.

This is all conjecture though, can't know for certain without knowing the history of the helmet.

ArchangelDM
1 minute ago, Nickman983 said:

I'm wondering if the 88th is touched up. I'd agree that the top most layer of paint looks very bright but I like what I see under it. To me the 88th looks to have been painted 3 times.

I'm wondering if the 3rd time was either a period touch up shortly before it was stored in good conditions or potentially by the vet/his family to "preserve" the aging helmet.

This is all conjecture though, can't know for certain without knowing the history of the helmet.

Nick I would agree with that, that last painted insignia is not 80 years old in my opinion and without knowing the history it’s what your happy with. 

- Dean 

have a great weekend all 

45 minutes ago, ArchangelDM said:

I don’t like the insignia on this, bright, no age to it. Closer pics of it make it really stand out. Intentionally sloppy in my opinion, also scratches to the right of it with blue in them ? 

the insignia is quite bright in daylight pics, but appears darker in fully lit room lighting. scratches revealing blue where there was a higher insignia painted. this helmet is still debatable

116745716_4031173403623406_5306035547910148968_o.jpg

The thing that the whole JKash episode illustrates is no one can be certain either way if it is fake or not. JKash fooled experienced collectors and novices alike. At the end of the day all that experience in helmet collecting counted for sh1t. Anyone can be fooled and unless you have it in hand all opinions are just opinions. The JKash episode only proved that no one should hold themselves out as an expert - you still crash and burn as much as the novice.

any one that claims that he or she is an expert or guru is a fool. any person that has gotten burned in this collecting can tell you that.

ArchangelDM
51 minutes ago, Costa said:

any one that claims that he or she is an expert or guru is a fool. any person that has gotten burned in this collecting can tell you that.

amen brother 

The description mentions a 7 day return window but since since the listing doesn't state returns are accepted it won't be eBay enforced. Typically eBay sides with the seller when there is a dispute.

eBay always sides with the buyer regardless of the sellers return policy. I don't offer returns unless I made an error which is extremely rare however eBay has forced me to take returns that where basically on the buyer (changed mind or something) weeks after the sale. The only time eBay didn't force me to take a return was when a buyer tried to return an item 6 months after the sale. So there is a limit haha.

Looks like we just "got played".   

This thread will sell the helmet, sounds like the seller won't stand behind any originality, no gaurentee on a helmet that needs in hand inspection.  No bid here thank you. 

2 hours ago, john k said:

Looks like we just "got played".   

This thread will sell the helmet, sounds like the seller won't stand behind any originality, no gaurentee on a helmet that needs in hand inspection.  No bid here thank you. 

Are there lots of eBay sellers that will give you a "guarantee of originality" on a painted WW2 steel pot? Or, as I suggested, the seller is not a dealer or a painted M1 expert and doesn't know with 100% certainty that it is absolutely 100% correct because she didn't get it directly from the veteran (with a COA) and doesn't have a photo of him holding it in Germany in 1945 (which seems to be the bar we've set here), and is selling it "as is".