medic m1 helmet for review

shadawg

WWMilitaria

Hello everyone, 

This is WWMilitaria, real name Brian.

I've been watching this and reading everything everyone has said. 

To start, yes my Ebay account is very new. I started it a few years ago to sell some of my Pokémon cards I collected as a kid. I'm unemployed due to COVID and am trying to make some extra cash (thats why I'm selling Disney mugs as well on there).

I was lucky enough to have made friends in the past year that do reenacting, collecting and reselling. Through these friends I was lucky enough to be invited to NCHS (National Capitol Historical Sales) in Virginia. The owner is George Peterson, a dealer for the past 50 years. Here is his credentials https://www.nchsinc.com/aboutus.asp

While there I hand picked my 29th division helmet in my ebay profile photo and the 88th helmet I sold to @shadawg. Even I said wow these are amazing and was surprised when I learned they were real. I trust George with all his experience in finding the real items, especially with a reputation of 37k+ reviews on his eBay store. 

The Medic helmet this started with was in my friends basement along with a bunch of other militaria and was her husband's that just passed away. I decided to try and sell it for her, she told me she thought it came from Virginia a few years ago but NOT NCHS, it was from someone that he got a bunch of stuff from. I canceled the sale now being I don't know if its real after seeing everything on here and receiving messages from a few of the members here.

I don't want a reputation of selling fakes. I've been a enthusiast and history buff for years, and was so happy to get involved with the community and sell some of the amazing items I was lucky to find in such an short amount of time. But frankly I'm embarrassed and scared to sell anything else if this is the way people react. Just because I found some awesome items and I own a light box for my side business doesn't mean I'm a fake. 

I just spent what little money I had on another original 3rd division and am afraid to sell it if everyone is going to say its fake and just make me out to be the bad guy. We will see what decisions I make going  forward. 

trinitykitty24

The medic helmet is mine. I had no idea who this Jamie guy was who fakes helmets until all of this. I have tons of stuff to sell of my late husbands collection and can only guess where it came from. This is the only helmet I found that had what I thought was original paint on it, there are tons of other helmets they are all just plain. My late husband was always picking up new lots of militaria from around the states and stuff has been siting in my basement for years. Brian is a friend of mine just helping me sell some stuff as there is a lot of it to go through. He has a light box and nice camera that I don’t have so I thought that would make for some nice photos. I told him to remove it after everyone was saying it was fake, I would never want to sell anything fake and since I can’t say 100% where my late husband got it I will just keep it as a display item. As for Brian’s other helmet he sold and the one in his eBay picture, we just picked those up about a month ago and they are definitely original paint, the dealer in Virginia has been collecting pretty much all his life and is extremely reputable. 

11 hours ago, Nickman983 said:

I'm on the fence on these two helmets but I find it interesting that the auction closed before it could come to completion. Looks like it was sitting at $500 before the seller closed the auction.

he sold it??? if so, any one get it here??

WWMilitaria
3 minutes ago, Costa said:

he sold it??? if so, any one get it here??

@Costa see above I am the seller and I took it down because of the controversy this forum started. See above for the story.

ArchangelDM
1 hour ago, WWMilitaria said:

@Costa see above I am the seller and I took it down because of the controversy this forum started. See above for the story.

no controversy just opinions of collectors from around the globe. 

could we see the liner attached in your ebay pic Of the 29th 

ArchangelDM
2 hours ago, WWMilitaria said:

Hello everyone, 

This is WWMilitaria, real name Brian.

I've been watching this and reading everything everyone has said. 

To start, yes my Ebay account is very new. I started it a few years ago to sell some of my Pokémon cards I collected as a kid. I'm unemployed due to COVID and am trying to make some extra cash (thats why I'm selling Disney mugs as well on there).

I was lucky enough to have made friends in the past year that do reenacting, collecting and reselling. Through these friends I was lucky enough to be invited to NCHS (National Capitol Historical Sales) in Virginia. The owner is George Peterson, a dealer for the past 50 years. Here is his credentials https://www.nchsinc.com/aboutus.asp

While there I hand picked my 29th division helmet in my ebay profile photo and the 88th helmet I sold to @shadawg. Even I said wow these are amazing and was surprised when I learned they were real. I trust George with all his experience in finding the real items, especially with a reputation of 37k+ reviews on his eBay store. 

The Medic helmet this started with was in my friends basement along with a bunch of other militaria and was her husband's that just passed away. I decided to try and sell it for her, she told me she thought it came from Virginia a few years ago but NOT NCHS, it was from someone that he got a bunch of stuff from. I canceled the sale now being I don't know if its real after seeing everything on here and receiving messages from a few of the members here.

I don't want a reputation of selling fakes. I've been a enthusiast and history buff for years, and was so happy to get involved with the community and sell some of the amazing items I was lucky to find in such an short amount of time. But frankly I'm embarrassed and scared to sell anything else if this is the way people react. Just because I found some awesome items and I own a light box for my side business doesn't mean I'm a fake. 

I just spent what little money I had on another original 3rd division and am afraid to sell it if everyone is going to say its fake and just make me out to be the bad guy. We will see what decisions I make going  forward. 

Hi Brian 

Are you Helping sell Kitty’s items or are you buying helmets to flip them. Also you say what Little money you had ? How much did the 3rd division cost out of curiosity 

thanks 

trinitykitty24

Brian is new to this forum and can no longer respond today because of some limit. He is helping me sell some items, the only helmet that was mine as stated was the medic one in question. The other three were from the dealer in Virginia and were sold at a good price for helping out with some work that needed to be done. Considering they were bought to be resold I will not say the exact price. The helmet in the profile pic did not come with a liner, I have tons of extra liners and just put one I had in it for the picture. 

First: Trinitykitty, I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

What baffles me a bit is that a helmet gets called out as a fake because its picture was taken in a similar style as the ones of a known faker. I bet there are a lots of people out there that will get the same results with a light box and a decent camera no matter what they put in front of the lens. Unfortunately painted helmets should always be approached with a healthy dose of suspicion nowadays but one should not lose all perspective in judgement.

Rene

trinitykitty24
6 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

First: Trinitykitty, I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

What baffles me a bit is that a helmet gets called out as a fake because its picture was taken in a similar style as the ones of a known faker. I bet there are a lots of people out there that will get the same results with a light box and a decent camera no matter what they put in front of the lens. Unfortunately painted helmets should always be approached with a healthy dose of suspicion nowadays but one should not lose all perspective in judgement.

Rene

Thank you! That is what I said, I see lots of helmets photographed that way to make them look nice. There are only so many ways you can photograph something. I can take bad photos of the same helmet I guess if that will make people feel better. 

trinitykitty24

Here is a picture of my cat wearing the helmet. I guess that is a style no one has tried 🤣 Anyways I will just be keeping it for display as to not sell something not knowing 100% for sure. 

1D1D171C-F6DE-43C8-A9E3-055894231E77.jpeg

All of my M1s, with one or two exceptions, came out of the woodwork. I can’t imagine collecting painted helmets these days. 

24 minutes ago, trinitykitty24 said:

Here is a picture of my cat wearing the helmet. I guess that is a style no one has tried 🤣 Anyways I will just be keeping it for display as to not sell something not knowing 100% for sure. 

1D1D171C-F6DE-43C8-A9E3-055894231E77.jpeg

Your cat looks pretty dang cool with that lid! :D

The Rooster

Personally. Most every helmet I have is a guess on my part. Even the ones that are named.

I dont think its fair for the owner to be feeling obligated now not sell it just because of opinions posted on this forum.

Its a free market and people have their opnions. Just as you cannot prove its authentic, so can no one on here prove it is not.

Opinions are the province of each and everyone of us. It doesnt prove a thing.

I would go ahead and put it up. Not embellished in any way and let the buying public decide.

One mans garbage is another mans gold.

Unless you were handed the helmet by the vet who wore it or their direct family members,

most of the lids we own revolve around speculation. Unless its a glaring obvious fake, who is to really say without concrete proof that it is or it is not.

The times we are going through are tough for some and not for others.

I personally dont think its right to shoot something down and force a person into giving

up their sales unless you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the helmet pictured is fake.

That does not seem to be the case here. Just circumstantial opinions.

Thats all Im reading here.

I tend to agree with Rooster, sell it if you need the money (sorry for your loss), just put a fair disclaimer like, "I'm no expert on helmets and I believe this is all original, but it may not be."

Thanks for chiming in and clearing things up! 

ArchangelDM
32 minutes ago, MattS said:

I tend to agree with Rooster, sell it if you need the money (sorry for your loss), just put a fair disclaimer like, "I'm no expert on helmets and I believe this is all original, but it may not be."

Thanks for chiming in and clearing things up! 

I agree and think that’s the best way forward.

good luck with it 

Too many opinions, too little solid evidence to support fake or real. Put is back up for sale, give a money back guarantee and let the bidders decide. I don't think a disclaimer is needed. It's  really quite simple.

We are sorry to hear of your loss. These are honest opinions by honest collectors. You, Brian, or anyone not knowing the history, other than collection history, of an item does nothing to help or hurt your sale. It is expected in this community.

When Brian is able to respond, I'd like to know where the pic was taken on his ebay home page - the one posted earlier here. If this medic helmet was the only one that wasn't plain from your husband's collection, it must have been from Brian's buying or from those he has dealt with. Curious to know.

Dave

ArchangelDM
7 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

We are sorry to hear of your loss. These are honest opinions by honest collectors. You, Brian, or anyone not knowing the history, other than collection history, of an item does nothing to help or hurt your sale. It is expected in this community.

When Brian is able to respond, I'd like to know where the pic was taken on his ebay home page - the one posted earlier here. If this medic helmet was the only one that wasn't plain from your husband's collection, it must have been from Brian's buying or from those he has dealt with. Curious to know.

Dave

Dave if your talking about the 29th helmet in the ebay pic I would also like to see it if possible. 

ArchangelDM
1 hour ago, trinitykitty24 said:

Haha he thinks so too. 

I just have one question trinity kitty 24, as you have an account here on the forum and have had for some time why did you not post it here for sale 
or In the what’s it worth Section ? Lots of good people would have put you in the right direction with what it’s worth and the sale could be seen by hundreds of US collectors. 

why get Brian to list it on eBay, with all the fees you would incur also not to mention he has no feedback and is a new seller.

just curious  

trinitykitty24
11 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

Dave

The one in his eBay pic as I said before is one of the three he got in Virginia from NCHS, a very reputable dealer. That one he picked up just for himself. 

trinitykitty24
12 minutes ago, ArchangelDM said:

I just have one question trinity kitty 24, as you have an account here on the forum and have had for some time why did you not post it here for sale 
or In the what’s it worth Section ? Lots of good people would have put you in the right direction with what it’s worth and the sale could be seen by hundreds of US collectors. 

why get Brian to list it on eBay, with all the fees you would incur also not to mention he has no feedback and is a new seller.

just curious  

I have never sold anything on here and didn’t even know that was a thing. I haven’t  been on here really for a couple years now. I have been putting some things on mine and he has been helping me by doing others. You can’t get your numbers up until you start selling and I didn’t see a problem with that since it helps both of us. New sellers have to start somewhere.